Barred (Plymouth) Rocks

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by kyfarmer, Nov 8, 2007.

1. kyfarmer

kyfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2007
    i was need to know if any one has info on Barred (Plymouth) Rocks if they will set on there eggs thank you alot farmer:D

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

In general, they aren't particularly broody. Neither of my two have ever gone broody and they're almost two. I have a friend who has broody BRs, though. Depends on their ancestry, I suppose.

3. kyfarmer

kyfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2007
    thank you speckledhen

4. Hi!
    I've had Barred Rocks for 10+ years and I have only had 1 Barred Rock hen ever go broody and hatch eggs (so it is possible).
    I wouldn't expect any of them to go broody and set their own eggs.

Why do you ask?

Lisa

5. countyroad1330

countyroad1330 Thunder Snow 2009!

Oct 15, 2007
    Oklahoma!
    My single hen never sat on her eggs, but she sure laid a ton that set well in my incubator! But, our RIR hens never sat on their eggs either. So far out of 8 of our free range hens, only two have gone broody: a brown Leghorn and what looks like a mixed up Sebright.

I hear that Australorps are supposed to be the best for laying and setting. But that may just be a rumor of course.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2007
  6. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    I currently have a broody barred rock. She's got a nest hidden somewhere. I was worried something had snatched her, but I started seeing her in the mornings when I'd throw some scratch and pellets out. I'd try to watch her, but eventually I have to get going to work. One of these days she'll slip up and I'll find that nest before the eggs hatch!

I had noticed her being aggressive towards any and all roosters, and then she disappeared for a few days before I started seeing her come out in the mornings all fluffed up and looking ticked off as she grabbed bites to eat.

I got her and two others at the same time, she's the only one that has gone broody. The others just lay their eggs and carry on.

7. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mine are too nuts to brood. Niether of them can hold still for more than two seconds!

[​IMG]

8. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    I wondered why my 2 1/2 year old barreds have never gone broody. They are good layers, even in the winter for me.

9. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    I had one go broody. She was not 1 yet. She sat on wooden eggs for 3 weeks thenI got 3 babies from the feed store. Put them under her and now they are 11 weeks old. She is the best momma. Even better than my banty hen. I guess you never know. Some are good moms and some are not.

I think some times she wonders why they are Red and not black and white. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by