Barred Plymouth still not laying

MarcyPB

In the Brooder
May 3, 2022
My 6 hens turned 1 recently. Hatched in April of last year, 5 gals started laying around September. They slowed in winter as expected. As spring has now sprung, the five girls are back up to an egg a day. But my one Barred Plymouth rock, who has a glorious red comb, has not. She's healthy and robust. Perhaps just too busy being in everyone's business? (she's sooooo nosy) Yes, they all get layer feed and I really don't want to try to feed her separately. Could it be she will never lay? Is she just a dud as far as egg production?

Are you absolutely sure she's not laying? She's still young, and could start any day. If you're getting five eggs a day, chances are she's sneaking one in here and there.

Are you absolutely sure she's not laying? She's still young, and could start any day. If you're getting five eggs a day, chances are she's sneaking one in here and there.
Pretty certain. I never see her going into the nesting boxes ever. She's never had a crop.

my barred plymouth rock is 4 months and is laying. The eggs are very very small- about walnut size. ping pong ball size or smaller even. My buff orpington was a year old before she laid and now she lays really nice large eggs. I think my naughty rooster has sort of jump started her system--but I would be patient, feed her calcium and a healthy diet and she will lay when she is ready. That is how goldy (buff orpington) was. Just one day she went into the nest and voila- now I get eggs 6/7 days. She is over a year old and started about a month ago. Have patience.

Back
Top Bottom