barred rock acting weird

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenbuttsowhat, Oct 20, 2011.

1. chickenbuttsowhat

chickenbuttsowhat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Danville, Arkansas
    i have a barred rock that i named Plymouth lol i know good name right lol anyways she was one of my first hens and i love her very much shes always out going and we sometimes call her miss piggy cuz she loves to eat and if a someone else is getting food she crys untill u give her some well today i went to check on them make sure everyone ok and well shes not acting her normal self shes just standing still with her eyes closed and wont eat the chicken scratch i threw out and shes the first to great me when i have food. i checked her eyes and nose they r clean anf normal i checked her breathing sounds fine so i dont know whats going one. last night first night got down to 33 weather heres been crazy one day its cold next its a lil warm last night i did have the coop shut up and heating lamp on with hay and venting at top so cold air wont touch them. she had been molting only lost a few feathers on her wings and back area was a lil bald but is now getting new feathers. Im very worry about her love her so much i love them all but shes one of my first and i would like to have her around for a long time [​IMG] any ideas what could be wrong or what should i do. right now i put her in the coop with heating lamp on her

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Hi. You may want to treat for coccidiosis.

I also, know when my hens go thru a heavy molt, they don't have an appetite and get skinny. They don't run for the food either.

3. chickenbuttsowhat

chickenbuttsowhat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Danville, Arkansas
    ok i'll be sure to try that and get more sulmet in the morning as soon as farmers co op opens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by