Barred Rock always stays in chicken coop.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by oliviad51, Jul 14, 2010.

1. oliviad51

oliviad51 Songster

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    I have a barred rock hen that hardly ever leaves the chicken coop. Im not sure why. She just stays in there all day. I feel bad, but I don't know what to do. I think she is worried about the roosters getting on her, but we only have 4 roosters and like 20-30 hens. Do old hens do this? She looks as if she could be a little older, but I think she's still laying. Anyways, I will post pics tomorrow, but for now does anyone know what could be wrong?

2. LindsayB

LindsayB Songster

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    Have you noticed any of the others picking on her? When we got a new EE 2 weeks ago the other girls would chase her constantly. The only relief she got was hiding in the coop all day. Is she new?

3. oliviad51

oliviad51 Songster

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    She's not new. I don't think anyone picks on her. When she walks out of the coop, she starts making the sound that broodys make when they take a 'break' to eat or drink.

4. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    What's the weather like?

Our Cochin rooster spent almost all winter in the coop.

If your weather is hot and your run doesn't have any shade, she may be in there just to cool off.

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Is she on a nest? Sounds like she may be broody. Does she puff up or screech at you or other chickens? Does she stay in the same spot at night?

6. oliviad51

oliviad51 Songster

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    no, shes not a broody. She just sits there on the roosting things(im not sure what they're called) all day. The chickens are free range, so she has plenty access to shade.

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I would worry that she's sick then. That's just not normal.

Could she be eggbound?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2010

8. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Songster

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    When people are sick they usually stay inside and rest. Never heard of a good scenario without treatment. I would give her 1/2 cc of Tylan 50.

9. oliviad51

oliviad51 Songster

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    Shes been doing this ever since we got her. I did see her out and walking around today...that made me feel a lot better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by