Barred Rock and combs? (edited to add more pictures)

mrsmaonaigh

Chirping
9 Years
Sep 2, 2010
SE Georgia
Please excuse my inexperience. Do barred rocks normally develop combs early on? I ask because when I got my EEs it took them forever to get combs, even my males. I ordered 10 barred rock pullets from Ideal. I also ordered more EEs and SLWs. The EEs and SLWs are not showing any comb development yet. But the barred rocks all have some sort of comb going on. This particular one has quite a noticeable comb. All chicks were born on 10-20 so that puts them at about 10 days old.

chicks102910002.jpg

*Edited to add pics of other chicks* These are pictures of all ten "girls". Please note that my camera is ancient so pictures aren't the best of quality.

barredrocks009.jpg

barredrocks008.jpg

barredrocks010.jpg

barredrocks007.jpg

barredrocks006.jpg

barredrocks001.jpg

barredrocks004.jpg

barredrocks003.jpg

barredrocks002.jpg

barredrocks011.jpg

Last edited:
Hello, im a little inexperienced also, but we have got a BR among my flock of 3 chickens, we've only have them 6 weeks, we got her at about 8 week old and she did not have 1 then and hers started coming through about 2 weeks ago, im not an expert but i would have a guess at a roo, as we also had what we thought was a pullet who infact after 3 weeks turned out to be a roo and he a bright red comb at around 8 weeks, but im new so each breed my be vary.

I have barred rocks and the roos combs are prominent pretty fast. They all seem to get combs pretty early on though. Judging from the library color of the feathers I.can see I would say it is a roo as well.

That is what I was afraid of. When I'm looking at the coloring what should I be looking for? I understand they are still young and all of that but I am always wanting to know more LOL! I need to take pics of each of my BRs because all of them have little combs going on (although I think this one has more than the others).

Thats normal becuase each of the three breeds you have, have different comb types. Barred Rocks have single combs so naturally you will see comb development in single combed breeds first. Next will combe the Wyandottes, they have rose combes so it will take abit longer befor they start getting pinker and start to protrudge more. And then the EEs have pea combs, and like you said, it take them almost to maturity before they start showing comb development. So its all normal

And I aslo agree that the lighter coloring of the one pictured looks like a roo.

I'm having the exact same dilemma with my chicks that were sold to me as barred rocks. If you want, you can check out my page, I have pictures. They both have pretty large combs compared to my buff orpington chicks, but one of them has some pink showing at the base of the comb. I also noticed that seeing pictures of adult barred rock hens, they have larger combs and waddles than hens of other breeds. But what do I know? I'm a newbie too. Good luck with your little cuties!

mrsmaonaigh, I think your large combed BR is female as sold to you. BR's are very similar to dominiques in regards to coloration as a function of sex. Your chicks all have wing feathers that appear too dark to be male.

There is considerable variation in terms of comb develop rate, therefore it is not a reliable character for sexing at such a young age.

Well if you look at the avatar picture of mine you will see a BR cockerel. That is the light color I am talking about. I will add a BR bullet pic to this with him too so hopefully you can see.
12090_imag0070.jpg

here is the best I have in my phone for coloring right now hope it helps. Maybe I need to take more pictures
12090_imag0122.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom