barred rock and dominique experts help

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by tasha82, Aug 15, 2011.

1. tasha82

tasha82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2011
    leeds
    hi im in abit od a dilemma,when i first got zeebs 6weeks ago,(he/she will be about 16weeks now)we were told by people on here that she/he was a dominique and male because of the colouring,so we decided to wait it out and see how she/he developes,2weeks ago zeebs tried moutning my female bluebelle and was pecking and stmaping on her back,which made me defo think male,were due to swap him tom,so i put some pic up last night asking before i do what everyone thinks,now someones said they think its a barred rock because of the comb(which i dont get) and the patterning,can anyone help pleaseeee
    zeebs at 10weeks ish[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and now[​IMG]

2. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    I really think Zeebs is a Dominique, and with trying to mount a pullet, like 99% cockerel. It's not a Barred Rock, for sure. I'm not sure what the other person was talking about, because Barred Rocks have single combs, not rose combs. Zeebs has a rose comb. The patterning is essentially the same, except that Doms have an irregular barring, not so even as most Barred Rocks. Here are some of my past BR so you can see some of what I'm talking about.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Hopefully you'll get this worked out! [​IMG]

ETA -- Found another picture! [​IMG] The 3 of 'em with my SLW, BA, and NHR...
    [​IMG]

And a Dom hen from FeatherSite...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  3. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    Definitely a dominique, and defnitely a boy.

4. Inkheart

Inkheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    I agree 100% male - and a dominique - Barred rocks have the single comb

5. tasha82

Jul 17, 2011
    leeds
    thanks the comment just had me confused haha,i didnt think it has one comb thing,it is the red/pink strip on the top of there head isnt ti??x

6. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Yup. [​IMG]

7. tasha82

Jul 17, 2011
    leeds
    Quote:thats what had me confused cos i knew he had erm whichever comb it is he does,not a single one,why cant sexing chickens be easy,xx

8. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Your instincts are right. That there is as little manly Dominique. He'll become more annoying as the weeks roll by and he is caught in the throws of puberty. Best to get rid of him now if you don't intend to keep him.

9. tasha82

Jul 17, 2011
    leeds
    Quote:were not keeping him,we already have one male black copper maran whose about 18wks,we going with seeing how much noise he makes to decide on what to do with him,as ive fallen in love with him so much,xx

10. tasha82

Jul 17, 2011
    leeds
    im confused now,weve rang the person,to say we want to swap him,and basically shes said its a barred wyandotte she doesnt keep dominques. and the behavour stamping on my female belles back and pecking her and climbing on top of her is normal females do that?????to wait to see if it crows or lays an eggm,i feel so guilty now tho,cos shes told us if its a male and we swap him theyre going to kill it,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by