barred rock and golden sex link results and question about cornish

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by primal woman, Jan 18, 2011.

1. primal woman

primal woman Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2010
    Oregon
    If a barred rock hen is crossed with a golden sex linked rooster ( which is: red rooster such as RR or NH? crossed with a white rock. Correct?) are the chicks sex linked colored?
    (the rooster looked like an isa brown in the pictures I have seen, but the hatchery did not know what it was when I bought golden sex linked pullets and ended up with that rooster.)

My chicks hatched were:
    one black without a head spot.
    one black with a white head spot.
    one white/light yellow with a couple black spots on its back.

Would these chicks be feather sexable?

Another question: Are Cornish chickens (pure cornish, not crosses) slow feathering or fast feathering? (late or early?)

2. Celtic Hill

Celtic Hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    Quote:You can't have sexlinks from a parent that is a sexlink, hope that makes sense.

and I am not sure abbout the Cornish.

3. southerncomfortfarms

southerncomfortfarms Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2010
    Kingsport Tennessee
    Hey.... Pure cornish are slow feathering! !!!!![​IMG]

4. primal woman

Oct 11, 2010
    Oregon
    Thank-you for your answers. Was wondering if I would be able to sex chicks out of my barred rocks and dark cornish when I have them.

5. Celtic Hill

Celtic Hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    i think BR are slow feathering too

6. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    This page of the Sexlinked Information Thread addresses your first question. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261208&p=12
    And
    you results sound like what I would expect you would get. Most hatchery crossings for sexlinks involve Dominant white which maskes black . So these shouldnt be used for making sexlinks becuause the chicks will be technical sexlinks and not necessarily visual sexlinks. If that makes sence.

The roosters you have has one copy of Dominant white, so when bred to a Barred Rock hen ( who doesnt have dom white) half of the spring will be able to show the black and be regular black sexlinks. ( like the first two chicks you listed. But the other half would be white were the black would normally be and the black dots are normal for Het. Dom Whites too. but the white coloring does not allow you to see a difference in the color as chicks so would wouldnt be able to tell the males or females of the whites until they get older. they males should show faint "ghost barring" as they age.

Both true Cornish and Barred rocks should be slow feathering but if you were to cross a Dark Cornish rooster with Barred Rock hens, you would get color sexable black sexlinks. Using White laced Red cornish would put the Dom White factor back in and give you white chicks so you shouldnt use the WLR cornish for it either.

7. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    Quote:[​IMG] also, the black ones with a white spot on the head are males, the black chicks are females. the white chicks with black spots are males and the white ones are females.

8. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:Both males and females of the white ones will have the black spots.

9. primal woman

Oct 11, 2010
    Oregon
    Quote:Thank-you.

second part: No, I could not wrap my head around this. Sorry, but it did not make sense to me. Hatcheries use white, but they shouldn't?

third part: When hatcheries use white barred rock hens to produce golden sex links, why would the dominant white factor of a white laced red cornish not be able to produce sex links? Not sure I am grasping this yet, although I raised parrots for years and messed with sex linked genes. But in parrots, 'sex linked' and 'dominant/recessive' were totally different 'topics'.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  10. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:Thank-you.

second part: No, I could not wrap my head around this. Sorry, but it did not make sense to me. Hatcheries use white, but they shouldn't?

third part: When hatcheries use white barred rock hens to produce golden sex links, why would the dominant white factor of a white laced red cornish not be able to produce sex links? Not sure I am grasping this yet, although I raised parrots for years and messed with sex linked genes. But in parrots, 'sex linked' and 'dominant/recessive' were totally different 'topics'.

Ok lets see if we can sift through this, it seems you are confused or unaware of the three different "Whites" They are Recessive White, Dominant White, and Sexlinked Silver. Read about them here in my post ( #2) https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=430486

And
    also lets not confused the two common types of Sexlinks: Red Sexlink ( using Sexlinked Silver) and Black Sexlinks ( using Sexlinked Barring)

With the hatchery crosses or any Red Sexlink cross, the hen breed MUST be carrying sexlinked Silver, but CAN be carrying other two Whites as well. For instance breeds like Light Sussex, are only carrying Sexlinked Silver, breeds like the hatchery RIWhites, are carrying Silver and Dominant White, and breeds like the White Rocks that hatcheries use for making sexlinks carry a Sexlinked Silver pattern under Recessive White. BUT a note about that is that people in general shouldnt get White Rocks to use in Sexlink crosses becuase you never know what they are really masking and if they will work or not, Hatcheries that use them have studied their strain and know that they will work. So in general, its best to stay away from Recessive White breeds.
    Anyway, so dont believe that hatcheries just simply cross White Rocks and RIRs to get their Sexlinks, if the are using white Rocks, it is a strain developed to produce sexlinks, or they are just telling you that when most hatcheries arent going to tell the truth about what goes into their crosses because they dont want you to cross them yourself, they want you to buy from them.

So and when Dominant White is used in their crosses from what ever breed, but most likely the RIWhites. It masks the black so the hens that are read with White tails would normally have black tails if it wasnt for the white. But they are still able to show the red and thus, can still be color sexed since they are mainly sexed by the red color instead of black anyway. However in the case of Black Sexlinks, they are sexed based on black coloring, so if a rooster that was carrying Dominant white( like a WLR Cornish) was used with Barred hens, all of the chicks would come out mostly solid white(with a few black dots) becuase the white is masking the black on what would be an otherwise, mostly solid black chick. As they get older, the males will develope some "ghost barring" which you can see on my cockerel in the link I posted, but they will not be able to be sexed by color at hatch.

Did that clear up anything ??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by