Barred Rock (around 2 weeks old) - male or female?

littlechickenroo

In the Brooder
May 14, 2022
Can you tell if this barred rock is a cockerel or a pullet?

Attachments

• IMG_2286.JPG
    IMG_2286.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2290.JPG
    IMG_2290.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2299.JPG
    IMG_2299.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2326.JPG
    IMG_2326.JPG
    118.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2346.JPG
    IMG_2346.JPG
    135 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2358.JPG
    IMG_2358.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2369.JPG
    IMG_2369.JPG
    202.7 KB · Views: 11
Looks like a cockerel to me as well. It has a larger white spot on its head while females have narrower white spots. Males are also normally darker, while females can be lighter. Adorable chicken by the way!😉

Looks like a cockerel to me as well. It has a larger white spot on its head while females have narrower white spots. Males are also normally darker, while females can be lighter. Adorable chicken by the way!😉
X2
Can you tell if this barred rock is a cockerel or a pullet?
More pics in a few weeks if possible but it looks like a rooster😏

I think it is a cockerel, but post again when it has feathered in some more. Judging from what looks like a wider band of white than black in the wing I'm going with cockerel for now. Cockerels will appear to be lighter than females as they have two copies the of barring gene, which causes the white portions of their bars to be wider than in the female.

This photo has a barred rock cockerel at the front left (first blue arrow pointing) and a barred rock pullet is the standing chick at the end of the row. You can see how different their feathers look. Hatchery quality will be less defined than these birds. The other arrow is pointing to another cockerel but that one is a crossbreed so looks like female barred rock pattern (and a poor pattern at that).
20220515_120404.jpg

I think it is a cockerel, but post again when it has feathered in some more. Judging from what looks like a wider band of white than black in the wing I'm going with cockerel for now. Cockerels will appear to be lighter than females as they have two copies the of barring gene, which causes the white portions of their bars to be wider than in the female.

This photo has a barred rock cockerel at the front left (first blue arrow pointing) and a barred rock pullet is the standing chick at the end of the row. You can see how different their feathers look. Hatchery quality will be less defined than these birds. The other arrow is pointing to another cockerel but that one is a crossbreed so looks like female barred rock pattern (and a poor pattern at that).
View attachment 3143486
Quite informative! Yes, great picture and amazing thoughts of the feathers. Note that those chickens are molting and the fluffy festhers will not show up on them as they are older. The fluffy feathers also do not determine the gender. You are completely right on your message though! I wasn’t trying to be rude, just help the OP know that the fluffy feathers were molting😉

The fluffy feathers ARE NOT molting these are photos of chicks who have not fully feathered in yet and still have some baby fluff, and her chick well may end up looking exactly like them. My barred rock lines are very slow feathering especially in cockerels. The chicks are about 9 weeks old in the photo.

Here's some updated pictures of the barred rock at around 5 weeks old. Does it look like a male or a female?

Attachments

• IMG_3272.JPG
    IMG_3272.JPG
    186.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3273.JPG
    IMG_3273.JPG
    203.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3278.JPG
    IMG_3278.JPG
    199.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3280.JPG
    IMG_3280.JPG