Barred Rock at 3 Weeks... Pullet or Cockerel? Updated Pics, Chick now 5 weeks old

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Fernchick, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Fernchick

Fernchick Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2014
    I'm really curious if this chick is a pullet or cockerel. It's a little over 3 weeks old now and really feathering in. When I got her/him at 1 week, I picked out one of the darkest of the group... it had a lot of black fuzz then. It's head is getting lighter, but the comb is not noticeably growing and staying yellow. The legs are not heavy and don't have much dark wash, but neither did any of the chicks in the group. I'd really appreciate hearing any of your opinions! :)

These 3 pics at 3 weeks...
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is the chick now at 5 1/2 weeks. The neck feathers really look "laced" now instead of barred. Very pretty. I agree... must be a barred rock mix. Still hoping for a hen! What do y'all think?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

This chick you're showing is a mix. The normal sexing rules of a Barred Rock do not apply. But, cockerels tend to give themselves away early with thick legs, short tail, upright stance and then, at 6 weeks, they'll be the first to show single comb and wattles. The pullets generally show nothing by way of combs and wattles until near maturity.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  3. Fernchick

Jan 22, 2014
    Are you thinking it's a mix because of it's light colored head? I'm just asking because I don't have any idea. Does it look roosterish to you? :)

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

It's too soon to determine the gender. It's a mix of some kind and since there are other breeds that have barring, we really cannot hazard a guess as to what went into the mix.

As I said, in a few weeks, the secondary sex characteristics will begin to appear and sexing will become more accurate.

5. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Yes, it looks like a mix to me as well...and yes because of the coloring on the head...that's not a standard Barred Rock coloring. (May be the male of the black sex link???? Someone want to step in on that conjecture?)

I'm thinking it looks a bit roo-ish due to a bit more comb growth at 3 weeks, however, wait....I find that my mutt mixes don't progress as pure breeds do. I've had a number of my girls get noticeable comb growth (however they still stayed yellow). And one gal noticeable (but yellow) comb growth and had really thick legs...so much so I gave her away at 10 weeks sure she was going to grow into a roo...turned out she laid at 13 weeks!

So, I'm leaning towards roo right now....but could change my mind with another photo in a few weeks.

Enjoy your little bird...hopefully it'll be a she and lay nice eggs for you. (My mutts do).

Lady of McCamley

6. Fernchick

Jan 22, 2014
    Thanks everyone! I will post pics again in a couple weeks and see what this little boy/girl becomes. I'm hoping for a nice laying hen. :)

7. LTygress

LTygress Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    I'll say mixed breed as well, but not JUST because of the coloring on the head. But the coloring on the CHEST. The rest of it has a lot of bars, but the chest is actually LACED, not barred.

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon

[​IMG]
    Sometimes barring can be mixed enough the pattern starts to resemble lacing, but it's still barring. The rooster above was hatched by me, and so were his parents, so I'm sure of his genetics. He's mixed with some barring, but there had been no laced birds on the property when he was hatched.

My limited experience is also that the barring "overrides" the lacing--these roosters had a barred rock father and a slw mother.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No lacing apparent, just messy barring. None of my barred/laced crosses have showed lacing--that was a disappointment to me!

9. LTygress

LTygress Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    Fernchick's bird has VERY obvious lacing though. At least in my opinion. The black is coloring the entire "inside" of the feather, and the white goes around the entire outside, curving right alongside the edge of the feather. But if you can't get lacing from a bar/lace cross, then it definitely has to be mixed enough for the lacing to actually show through.

10. Fernchick

Jan 22, 2014
    Update: This chick turned out to be a Barred Rock - Easter Egger cross... she is laying light green eggs and has the heavy feathering on her neck. She has beautiful silver coloring, more spotted/laced than barred. [​IMG] I can post pics if anyone wants to see her now.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by