Barred Rock Attitude-- Fact or Fiction?????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by newbarredrockandsilkiemom, Aug 23, 2010.

1. newbarredrockandsilkiemom

newbarredrockandsilkiemom Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2009
    Belleville
    I have a small flock of Barred Rocks (even smaller now since the possum attack) and they just turned a year old. I have 4 of them and I had hatched out some eggs in my bator and have a pullet almost the same size, just not filled-out as much. I had more than one pullet, but that danged ole possum got 4. I have let this pullet run in the pen beside the hens, I put her in a cage for a week or so in the coop of a night and I let her out of a night. Well, I go out yesterday morning to the top of her head being skinned off and a spot in her neck where they picked her. I have 5 chickens (counting the roo and pullet) in a 7X12 coop. They are NOT over crowded. She's alive for now, I put blue Kote on her and started her on antibiotics she is now residing in a rabbit hutch, far away from them mean ole hens.

Now, I was told that barred rocks are the hardest chickens to have to try to incorporate new birds to because they are very territorial. Is this right? I want to add to my flock (well my oldest daughter and I do) because I have a family of 5 plus before the possum attack I was providing eggs to my in-laws. My daughter is wanting to have enough birds to hatch out eggs and sell the chicks to raise money for her 4-H projects next year, plus sell eggs and leave us enough for what we need.

What breed of chickens can I get that if I need to add to the flock later on, or if I hatch some eggs and grow out pullets aren't so mean they try to kill them?
    I really need some advice. I am getting very frustrated and I don't have the room right now to build another coop.

Thanks

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Not that is not true of the breed in general. BRs are my favorite breed. They are strong birds, never had one that was a pushover in the pecking order, but not prone to bullying any more than any other breed, IMO. If they were like that as a rule, trust me, I wouldn't have decided that I always wanted them as my base flock. Just make sure they have adequate protein levels for their ages.

3. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    I am new to this but I have experience with barred rock roos. Even with a flock of all roos 12 in all they were never bad really. They play fought a lot but never any injured. Even now when I have a bunch of BR roos again and a mix of other roos and hens they are still pretty ok. One has become dominant for sure but he only defends his territory against the geese, not the others in the flock. Other than never getting any pullets I like the breed. Although I have become a huge fan of Orps and love how docile they are.

4. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    I totally agree with Cynthia..my Rocks in all colors Barred Blue Buff Columbian are wonderful to be around.My roo lives with many other roos and lots of hens.He's never had a problem with any.My roo is very large but won't allow any of the others to push him around..but never in a fight either.My hens go along with anything we ask them to..they trust in we won't do them harm.They won't allow a bully to just push them around will stand up for themselves but have never seen one just get cranky for no reason.I can add any chickens to their living quarters and have no worries about any being hurt or mentally tortured(you know the stink eye that never blinks standing over the unsuspecting new birdie)
    I may give you one of my other chickens but chances are I won't sell you one from my Rock collection [​IMG]

5. chicknduck

chicknduck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2010
    Ohio
    I have 2 BR's that are 5 weeks old and they seem to be very sweet.

6. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    When I was about 12 we had a RIR hen that went broodie so got half a dozen fertile eggs and had her set them, only one hatched and it was a BR rooster. That was the meanest bird I have ever been around--and I used to raise cockerels for fly hackles. He attacked anything and everything. People were afraid to come to our house as he would first attack their cars and then the passengers as they got out. We had a dog that was part corgi who would kill full grown woodchucks but that rooster had him completely intimidated. The rooster would hide in the bushes by the driveway and jump out at people--when we came home the first thing we did was locate him so we knew where the attack was coming from and could grab the rake we kept handy to fend him off. Didn't turn out well for him though--we found him dead one afternoon and always suspected the dog got his revenge or the chicken attacked a moving car.

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    You didn't say how old these pullets are that you tried to integrate? They need to be the same size as the grown up hens. (about 13 weeks old)

I have a BR hen with a strong personality, and I've integrated babies in twice successfully. I did have 1 cockeral that could not integrate as he could not roost due to toe issues and could not get away. After I found him pecked pretty good on his head, I removed him and he healed, but I found that his vision wasn't good. So he didn't stand a chance being integrated.

8. newbarredrockandsilkiemom

Oct 2, 2009
    Belleville
    My pullet is about 13 weeks old or so, and she is the same size as the hens just not filled out. They have a 20 X 80 lot to peck around in and they won't let that pullet eat, drink or go in the barn to roost until after dark. The pullet is the sweetest little thing. The hens could be 30 feet from that pullet and if they seen her scratching they would take off running after her to make her hide again. The chickens all basically free range in such a large lot with only 6 chickens in there they get fed a 50/50 mix of 16% layer pellet and a 20% unmedicated chick grower. Plus they get scraps, and treats.

Oh, and for the record I don't hate my rocks I love them and think their beautiful, I just wish they weren't so mean to the "newbie".

Michele

9. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Only integrating 1 is going to be difficult. All the abuse will go straight to her, rather than spread out among several chickens. Chickens are very protective of their flock and don't like new comers.

Some things to try:
    Get her a buddy or 2 and integrate all of them to your flock at the same time. (so the abuse isn't directed at just 1 chicken)
    Put her in an enclosed area of the coop for a week where the others can see her but not hurt her. (after she's healed) This will give the other chickens a chance to get used to her being in the coop.
    Give her hiding places both in the coop (if possible) and in the run.
    Put extra feeder/waterer for her somewhere, so they can't keep her from food/water. (she shouldn't be on layer feed yet anyway)

10. newbarredrockandsilkiemom

Oct 2, 2009
    Belleville
    I didn't think of that ...[​IMG]
    I have had so much on my mind that I didn't think about that. I can't find any other chickens around here close. I want something unique. My husband is wanting some blue standard size chickens and I don't know what breeds come in blue..lol

I feel like an idot.[​IMG]

Thanks for your help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by