Barred Rock, Australorp, Black Sex Link, or Black Sex Link-Red Rock?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Andora, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Andora

Andora Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    I have figured out what all my chicks are, except these...I have two of each coloring.

They are in one bin together at the feed store (TSC) and I think they came from Mt. Healthy. The guy said they are both the same breed and that he thought they were labeled sex links when they came.

[​IMG]

This chick does not have any white spotting on its head at all, it's solid black. So is the other chick I have of this kind, no white spot on it either, but the second chick has all yellow legs with no black coloring.

And I have two of these:

[​IMG]

On the Mt. Healthy site they have something called Black Sex Link-Red Rock cross. I read that the males resembled Barred Rocks and the females are black and red. Could that be what these are? What do you think?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
  2. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    the bottom one is definitely a black sex link pullet.

the top i am not 100% on, hopefully someone else can help you with that. [​IMG]

3. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
  4. Andora

Andora Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    At least the second one is a pullet! I have two of them. (I have horrible luck, I always end up with a zillion roos lol.)

The first one does kind of look like a Minorca. I certainly wouldn't be disappointed! It doesn't have any white on the chest like the chicks in the picture though, so I'm not 100% sure...

http://www.mthealthy.com/product/BSL-P

Those are the crosses Mt. Healthy sells that I think might be what these two chicks are.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by