Barred Rock bantam Chick has NO wing feathers

KayP

Songster
14 Years
Jul 14, 2008
Baltimore, MD
At a week old! Are they slow to mature, or is this one defective? All the other same age chicks' wings are feathering nicely (Ameraucana, Mille, Seabright).

I don't know about your particular chick, but time will tell. I do know that some chicks are faster/slower to develop than others and are still just fine. Does this chick seem less fit/able than the others in any other way? Is it able to eat/drink/move/scratch/play as well as its flockmates? That's when I would be concerned. But if it's otherwise acting as well as its peers, then I would not worry, but still be observant. That's a good thing to do with your chicks, no matter what.

It's common for barred rocks to have the slow-feathering gene which causes their feathers to well, grow at a much slower rate. This is because slow feather growth can promote much crispier barring.

Cuckoo is the same barring gene but on a much faster feather growth, "distorting" the bars.

Wow! Thanks so much! Now I don't have to worry. She's healthy in all other ways and so sweet and docile. I wish I could figure out how to empty my daughter's camera file thingy and then post pics. If I can master this seemingly highly technological job, I'll be able to post pics (now and forever more!)

I have 3 bantam BRs who are 5 weeks old and are WAY behind the other chicks in feathering. They seem healthy enough, but I always forget that they're the same age as my banty EEs who are completely feathered out now. Nice to know it's normal, I was afraid they were so slow because they might be roos!

didn't know that! thanks for sharing! That's really cool to know. So that's why cuckoos have angled bars while Barred birds have straight... cooleo!

No, it doesn't have to do with angled barring, it has to do with crisper barring. All barring is supposed to be straight (although I personally think the angled barring is very attractive).

Crisper as in it looks like the bars were drawn using a straight-edge with a marker, vs cuckoo of being drawn freehand with a crayon.​

Generally speaking, the longer it takes for the feathers to come in, the better the barring will be.

Bantam barred rocks tend to have crisper barring and yes, it may take a bit longer for the feathers to develop. (But I think it's worth the wait!)

I have a Barred Rock cockerel (standard) that is 6 months old. I'm STILL waiting on his saddle feathers to come in completely.

I'm glad she'll be ok, and with crisper barrs, to boot. It's just a little sad watching her try to flap up to the little roost like the rest of the crowd and be unable to. I hope she doesn't get a complex.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom