1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Barred Rock bantam Chick has NO wing feathers

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by KayP, May 11, 2009.

1. KayP

KayP Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    At a week old! Are they slow to mature, or is this one defective? All the other same age chicks' wings are feathering nicely (Ameraucana, Mille, Seabright).

2. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    I don't know about your particular chick, but time will tell. I do know that some chicks are faster/slower to develop than others and are still just fine. Does this chick seem less fit/able than the others in any other way? Is it able to eat/drink/move/scratch/play as well as its flockmates? That's when I would be concerned. But if it's otherwise acting as well as its peers, then I would not worry, but still be observant. That's a good thing to do with your chicks, no matter what.

3. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    It's common for barred rocks to have the slow-feathering gene which causes their feathers to well, grow at a much slower rate. This is because slow feather growth can promote much crispier barring.

Cuckoo is the same barring gene but on a much faster feather growth, "distorting" the bars.

4. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Quote:I didn't know that! thanks for sharing! That's really cool to know. So that's why cuckoos have angled bars while Barred birds have straight... cooleo!

5. StrawberryHouseMouse

StrawberryHouseMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    Do you have photos?

6. KayP

Jul 14, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    Wow! Thanks so much! Now I don't have to worry. She's healthy in all other ways and so sweet and docile. I wish I could figure out how to empty my daughter's camera file thingy and then post pics. If I can master this seemingly highly technological job, I'll be able to post pics (now and forever more!)

7. lceh

lceh Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    Central Virginia
    I have 3 bantam BRs who are 5 weeks old and are WAY behind the other chicks in feathering. They seem healthy enough, but I always forget that they're the same age as my banty EEs who are completely feathered out now. Nice to know it's normal, I was afraid they were so slow because they might be roos!

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    didn't know that! thanks for sharing! That's really cool to know. So that's why cuckoos have angled bars while Barred birds have straight... cooleo!

No, it doesn't have to do with angled barring, it has to do with crisper barring. All barring is supposed to be straight (although I personally think the angled barring is very attractive).

Crisper as in it looks like the bars were drawn using a straight-edge with a marker, vs cuckoo of being drawn freehand with a crayon.​

9. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Generally speaking, the longer it takes for the feathers to come in, the better the barring will be.

Bantam barred rocks tend to have crisper barring and yes, it may take a bit longer for the feathers to develop. (But I think it's worth the wait!)

I have a Barred Rock cockerel (standard) that is 6 months old. I'm STILL waiting on his saddle feathers to come in completely.

10. KayP

Jul 14, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    I'm glad she'll be ok, and with crisper barrs, to boot. It's just a little sad watching her try to flap up to the little roost like the rest of the crowd and be unable to. I hope she doesn't get a complex.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by