Barred rock bantam chicks - roo's?

LABstrong

Chirping
6 Years
Dec 9, 2013
They are 2.5 weeks old - I'm thinking all 3 are roos. For sure the one closest is a male as he has really yellow legs and much more prominent comb already. Thoughts?

I can't really see close enough to tell. sorry, maybe someone else can. they sure are cute!! just ordered five barred rock females for April myself. have you raised this breed before? I've only raised silkies.are they are friendly breed? I can't wait I'm excited!

They are super friendly! I hatched them in an incubator then stuck them under my broody silkie when they were 2 days old and she is taking really good care of them. I've never had them before (I have silkies, d'uccle's, ameraucana's) but they're supposed to be great layers, I think. But that won't work very well if they're all boys. Lol!

lol. yours sure are cute.I just love♡♡ the barring on the wings! I got mine ordered from Meyer hathery. I like that they only charge a dollar for the Mareks vaccine. I've always bought the vaccine and done it myself so it's new to have them pre vaccinated.MY Silkies have been wonderful but hubby always wanted the barred so this year we ordered 5. hatch date is April 12th. I've only ever raised the silkies so I'm hoping these are just as sweet. from what I read the females have large combs too so I suppose it would be quite difficult telling the difference as I'm only experienced in silkies.but I'm sure there is someone out there with enough experience to tell the difference for you. will you keep a room or rid the roos? I just pray all mine come alive!! shipping scares me to pieces!!!

I've never had birds shipped, just eggs. I find it very easy to integrate the new chicks with my existing flock when one of them has "hatched" the babies (even if I've incubated them). I'm sure your chicks will do great being shipped. Meyer's has done this plenty of times. :)
I will not be able to keep any roosters if they start crowing. I've tried to explain that to them in the past but unfortunately, they just don't seem to get it. Lol!

haha. I've had a few roos I've had to re/home myself for the same reason. usually local 4 H club are happy to take roos if your looking for homes. it's hard I know but at least they get cared for from the clubs kids...Hopefully you won't have to get any roos but if it does happen I'd contact them. They usually take them. Hope this helps you out if you end up in that situation.can't wait to get my babies!! These barred are a new breed for me. Hope they are just as sweet as my silkies!! let me know if you do find out the sex of your little ones. They sure are beautiful! I hope mine turn out as cute as yours!! best of luck! Hope they all turn up female!

Back
Top Bottom