Barred Rock Bantam Not Growing?!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Coturnix Quail, May 2, 2017.

1. Coturnix Quail

Coturnix Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2016
    Alright, so.. Welcome to my roller coaster of raising chickens for the first time! I will repeat it again, I have 11 chicks in total. 1 EE, 1 EE Bantam, 1 Blue Cochin, 1 Australorp 1 Buff Orpington, 1 Barred Rock Bantam, 1 Sicillian Buttercup, and 4 RIRs. My chicks are doing good, so far. They're about 2 weeks old now.. So for the most part, everyone but a few are developing combs. Everyone is growing a tiny, or big amount... Except my Barred Rock Bantam. Depending on which chick you compare it to, its at least 2x smaller. Even my EE Bantam is a little bigger! I took my chicks out of the brooder today to play, and when I showed food, they all ate except for my BR Bantam!!! Now I'm concerned for its health, weather it will live or not.. Please help! :(

2. Eggzilla

Eggzilla New Egg

May 2, 2017
    Florida
    I recently raised a BR along with a RIR and an Orpington chick and noticed the BR feathered MUCH slower than the other two. This made her appear to be developing slower than the others but she is perfectly healthy and finally catching up in the feather department at week 5. I hope that is what you are seeing when you say the BR chick isn't growing.

3. Coturnix Quail

Coturnix Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2016
    Yeah, it actually is. Thanks! Do you think she's a runt? I've seen her get a tiny bit larger, but she still isn't anything compared to my other chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by