Barred Rock Bantams, 15 Days, Sex?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by griswell, Aug 23, 2010.

1. griswell

griswell Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2010
    Phenix City
    Update 9-11-10 scroll to last post!

<><><><><><><><><><><><>

We got these straight run, and I have I already posted pics a few days ago and people weighed in, but now I have another thing to consider. Our landlord says we cannot keep roosters. Hens are fine, but no roosters. I wasn't going to keep the roos anyway, but the longer I keep them, the more I am going to get attached to them, and the harder it will be for me to let them go when the time comes. That being said, I'm going to show new pics (taken just ten minutes ago) and see if I get the same results from the members here. (Or similar) that I got before.

I know that results can be flaky at this age, but I would rather be wrong and have one roo to get rid of after all is said and done than to keep feeding them hoping for more hens but ending up with 7 boys and 2 girls, and already having favorites among the boys that now I can't bear seeing go (and become stew for somebody!)

If you guys will indulge me once more, I'd appreciate it. If you see one in the group you are CERTAIN of (like 90%) or greater, please tell me...otherwise, they are numbered so you can just make a list of your educated guesses. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  2. crash0330

crash0330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Mecca, CA
    My Coop
    Barred rock females usually have more dark spots on their legs than males do, this is true for when they are older, Im not sure if that would apply as babies too.

3. RhodeRunner

RhodeRunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Ashtabula, Ohio
  4. griswell

Aug 19, 2010
    Phenix City
    Quote:The eHow site has general info, but I still am scratching my head over mine. I think I may have some of the most confusing chicks out there. For example, it says males have lighter legs and larger/more irregular head spots, but my #9 has darker legs than any of the others, and the headspot is very spread and irregular. That points both ways. So how do you even begin to guess? On the other side of that, my #1 has one tiny bright little headspot, which points to girl, but it's legs are VERY light with almost no black anywhere. So that points both ways too. [​IMG]

I was so naive when I got these; I had no clue then and I'm almost as confused now. I love my little chicks, and the kids have named them now, which is going to be a disaster when it comes time for the roos to go, and it will only get worse the longer the roos go unidentified, because they will be here longer for the kids to see every day. [​IMG]

I know, I'm being stressy. I just hate seeing the kids calling the babies by names they gave them, knowing that...who knows how many will have to go. Five of them? Six? Did I just get a really bad run in this group? [​IMG]

5. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    Just Guessing, but would love to know how they turn out.
    1-pullet
    2-roo
    3-roo
    4-pullet
    5-pullet
    6-roo
    7-pullet
    8-roo
    9-pullet

6. griswell

Aug 19, 2010
    Phenix City
    Darn this is hard to do when you are put under the gun. How on earth do you sex when they display traits of both? Like a large, irregular headspot AND dark legs?

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  7. griswell

Aug 19, 2010
    Phenix City
    Well, unless anybody else has a guess at what these might be, I'm going to just go with what others have said and cull the roos today. I found someone who will take them as meat birds (shudders). Oh well. Any last weigh-ins before they go? I know I am being a pain. [​IMG]

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

#2 and #6 are males. I cannot see the headspots well enough to say on a couple others, though.
    I think 1, 4, 5, 7, 9 are pullets. Remember, sexing rules are only 90% accurate when you take head spot, down color and leg color combined to make a decision. Some can fool you. I've had lighter pullets with huge head spots, too, and some that kept me guessing for a few more weeks due to conflicting traits.

9. griswell

Aug 19, 2010
    Phenix City
    Quote:Thank you, SpeckledHen! [​IMG] I was looking for just one more opinion before I did the deed. I just love them all, and if I wait until I can be 100% certain I will be too attached to the roos to get rid of them. [​IMG]

10. griswell

Aug 19, 2010
    Phenix City
    Only bumping this one because someone said they would like to know how these turned out sex-wise. They are five weeks old now and their sex is more obvious due to the barring patters and darker/lighter feathering. Speckledhen was correct in both her picks, and others were pretty accurate too. We gave away two of the males and got two females to replace them. One of males we kept is already crowing (at 5 weeks) and also has a reddish comb and tiny wattles!

The results:

1-HEN
    2-ROO
    3-ROO
    4-HEN
    5-HEN
    6-ROO
    7-HEN
    8-ROO
    9-HEN

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by