barred rock behaviors

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by guerrera567, Oct 19, 2008.

1. guerrera567

guerrera567 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2008
    are they nice or mean, because im thinking of getting one

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Naturally, they are individuals, but they are my absolute favorite breed. Personality plus! Mine are very affectionate, curious, intelligent and great layers, to boot. Even the roosters are sweethearts, at least all I've ever had, with one odd exception.

3. guerrera567

guerrera567 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2008
    ok thanks

4. 2boxers

2boxers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2008
    Halifax Co Virginia
    My barred rock pullets are docile, sweet, and not too "flighty" or jumpy. They are my daughter's favorites because they let her catch them.

5. conroy

conroy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    :DMy husband and I just bought 2 BR pullets last week. They were members of a rather large flock and didn't seem to have much in the way of human contact. But after only 3 or 4 days I see the difference in them. They seem sweet though still a little skittish but I think that will pass with time. I say go for it. I have only heard nice things about them.[​IMG]

6. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    Quote:I have a pair of Barred Rocks and my hen is just the opposite. If she even sees you looking at her across the yard she takes off running and hides somewhere. The roo however is very sweet. He doesn't want me to touch him, but he will come right up and stand next to me. He is not agressive at all.

7. bdp7150

bdp7150 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2008
    Kentucky
    i have 2 br pullets fergie and h2o and they are nice brown egg layers and good human interactions good looking hens also i say get you some .

8. Ugly Cowboy

Ugly Cowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    Corn, OK
    Well, that weird hen that follows me around is a BR, most of my other BR's are just as friendly (though not as strange...)

9. annmarie

annmarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    They're also great conversationalists! [​IMG]

10. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I have two and they are about equally gentle natured as the Jersey Giants

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by