1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Barred rock boy or girl

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by HeatherTheMommy, Jun 2, 2016.

1. HeatherTheMommy

HeatherTheMommy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2015
    Felton DE
    This is either a barred rock or a California gray. I cant tell the 2 apart. Anyway i got these chicks yesterday and this one screams cockerel to me with the coloring. If it is a roo it has to go because i have 9 other cockerels im trying to rehome. The seller said i can come exchange if i want to. Should i go exchange today?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. dgibson0604

dgibson0604 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2016
    Gardners PA
    looks like a boy just wait a while til he is feathered up good then post some more pictures of him

3. HeatherTheMommy

May 14, 2015
    Felton DE
    Well if it looks like a boy im exchanging it today because I will cry if i get more boys

4. newchickmom213

newchickmom213 Just Hatched

May 16, 2016
    North Florida
    Looks like a boy to me. The only way to be 100% is wait for him to let out that little cockadoodledoo [​IMG]

5. HeatherTheMommy

May 14, 2015
    Felton DE
    I also habe 2 speckled sussex. One has more feathers than the other and a tail. Its comb seems smaller too. No clue how old they are. Maybe a week. Would u say one is a boy or can pullets feather slower too?

6. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

female barred rocks supposedly have thicker black stripes

7. Shezadandy

Shezadandy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    Do you have photos of the speckled sussex chicks? Not sure on feathering speed. Had 2 barred rocks feather at astonishingly different rates and both were pullets. Your BR seems to have the hallmark wide white stripes. Those legs are also pretty light- female BR tend to have a dark wash of black on the legs. Another question is was the store selling black sex links?

Here's my favorite reference thread:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/798635/sight-sexing-barred-plymouth-rock-chicks-at-hatch

8. HeatherTheMommy

May 14, 2015
    Felton DE
    I took this barred rock back because i was pretty sure it was a boy

9. Shezadandy

Shezadandy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    I think you made a good decision- the headspot was girlish- but everything else had the big flashing arrow the other way.

10. HeatherTheMommy

May 14, 2015
    Felton DE
    Yes now im worried the dominique i got is a boy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by