Barred Rock Chick Gender

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChickieLisa, Mar 14, 2013.

1. ChickieLisa

ChickieLisa Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2013
    [​IMG]
    Could someone tell if my barred rock chick is a rooster or not? Is it too early to tell?[​IMG]

2. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    How old is it?

3. Debs55

Debs55 Chillin' With My Peeps

The general rule is that the roosters will have more white and more defined barring while the hens will be darker with more blended barring. It's alittle early but you should be able to tell better in a week or two

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Good post. These birds can be sexed relatively quickly. At 5-6 weeks, (yes, the time will pass quickly) the difference is very, very obvious. The cockerels will be lightish charcoal with bright, wide stripes. The pullets will be dark, with messy barring.

Additionally, the cockerels are very quick to sprout pink/red combs and little red wattles. The pullets do not. The pullets won't generally show anything other than dull yellow at that age.
    Side by side? Easy as pie.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. ChickieLisa

Mar 14, 2013
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are some updated photos [​IMG] I still can't tell if my little chick (not very little anymore [​IMG]) is a pullet or a roo. I am hoping s/he is a pullet [​IMG]

6. MontanaDolphin

MontanaDolphin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2013
    Columbia, Virginia
    How old is he/she? Has he/she sprouted any wattles yet? And what color is his/her comb?

7. ChickieLisa

Mar 14, 2013
    The IFA store where I got him/her didn't tell me the age but I am guessing about 4 weeks old. I do not think s/he has any wattles. At least not from what I have seen. And his/her comb seems like a very light pinkish color but I'm not positive [​IMG]

8. Debs55

Debs55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hm this is hard because it has alot of white but it's stripes are muddy. If its comb is getting more pink I'd say roo but I'm really not sure

9. MontanaDolphin

MontanaDolphin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2013
    Columbia, Virginia
    x2 This is hard for the reasons Debs55 said. Here's a pic for comparison...notice how Zeus' comb is pink and he's getting wattles? He also has distinct white barring of his feathers.

[​IMG]

Some of my other so-called "pullets" have dark feathers and dark leg wash, whereas Zeus has no leg wash and lighter feathers, but those other "pullets" are starting to get pink in their combs and are sprouting wattles...but by looking at them all together, I can see the difference in the barring of their feathers.

[​IMG]

But one of them, "Brave Girl", has me really confused, because her barring isn't quite as pronounced as the other cockerels, nor is it as muddy as the pullets. He/she IS however, sprouting pink wattles. So even though I think he/she is a cockerel at this point, I don't think I can be sure until she's a bit older.

[​IMG]

These babies are 3 weeks old, by the way. I hope this helps you somehow!!

10. ChickieLisa

Mar 14, 2013
    Thanks for the help guys [​IMG] Just a question, and I don't know if it matters, but his/her beak as a whole seems to be a very light pinkish color and not yellow like others but it may just be the lighting. Gonna have to check later, I guess [​IMG] I'm pretty sure s/he doesn't have any wattles... yet. Hopefully, it's a pullet!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by