Barred Rock Chick I believe 8/9 weeks old Boy or Girl

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by brittanyvw, Jan 8, 2017.

1. brittanyvw

brittanyvw New Egg

Dec 18, 2016
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My gut is leaning toward a pullet because she's darker in color like my other adult barred rock Hen. And all the pics I've looked up it matches more the girls.
    Any opinions?

2. Coyox

Coyox Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2016
    Belleville, MI
    Looks like a pullet to me... But curious to hear what others think

3. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    With the feathers on the legs, it's a mixed breed. Definitely a cockerel with that comb as red as it is.

4. brittanyvw

brittanyvw New Egg

Dec 18, 2016
    The feathers are only on one leg not the other which makes me think they are stuck to its leg but will check later today

5. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi, welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

That's a cockerel. Hatchery birds can be hard to tell because a lot don't feather in exactly standard. One of my girls is whiter than should be.

But that's a whole lot of red comb for the age.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Agree that's a cockerel.

Since the bird is probably mixed, you can't go by the "rules" of color sexing a barred bird. It's all about the comb, and that comb says boy.

7. brittanyvw

brittanyvw New Egg

Dec 18, 2016
    The lady who I got these from they were moving so I took a mama and some babies. So totally new at this and she didn't have much of an idea who is whose mama etc feathers are on the one leg only. My kids will be so sad it's a boy since we won't keep any boys. I have 7 other babies I have a pic maybe youguys will know.
    At what age can you sex them without a doubt? Can I take 4 week old chicks to local feed store to be sexed?

8. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Most cockerels are pretty obvious by 8 weeks old.

9. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Feed stores don't sex chicks. They order sexed chicks from hatcheries. Hatchery vent sexing must be done at hatch, and it's only about 90% accurate, depending on the person doing the sexing and their level of skill.
    If you knew for certain which parent the barring (white striping) came from, they may be sexlinked.

10. Cel45

Cel45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2015
    Houston, Tx
    Cockerel, sorry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by