Barred Rock Chick is Biting

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by FEggery, Jun 17, 2016.

1. FEggery

FEggery Just Hatched

Jun 8, 2016
    Iowa
    I am a newbie, so this may sound silly. I just got some chicks the other day and one of my Barred Rocks consistently attacks and bites when I stick my hand in the brooder near her or when I pick her up. She is biting, not pecking and it doesn't hurt now but she is still tiny. Should I be worried about her behavior?

2. BabyandCotton

BabyandCotton Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2016
    Florida
    Next time she tries that, gently push her away and into the corner to show her you are dominant.

1 person likes this.
  3. FEggery

FEggery Just Hatched

Jun 8, 2016
    Iowa
    Thanks! I will try that

4. ejcrist

ejcrist Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2015
    Desert Hills, AZ
    I didn't have that problem with my layers but the broilers were another matter. They were all cockerels and I got bit every time I put the feeder in the pen. Just like Baby said though, I'd just push 'em aside and go about my business.

1 person likes this.
  5. chickens really

chickens really True BYC Addict

Possibly after the rings you wear...They are chickens and love all things shiny and interesting.

6. HnkyDnkyZZFarm

HnkyDnkyZZFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2016
    Northern California
    If you want to see the funniest thing ever, put a red hair tie around your wrist and put your hand in. They think it's something to eat and just go BONKERS!

When our last bunch of chicks were in the brooder I would let them have the hair tie to play keep away with for a few minutes. It looks like they're playing tackle football.

They would try to bite off freckles, nail polish or jewelry as well and still have to check out my toes if I wear flip flops. Our barred rocks are boss chickens anyways. Anything new or different must be interrogated by poke peck and pull.

1 person likes this.
  7. FEggery

FEggery Just Hatched

Jun 8, 2016
    Iowa
    I was kind of wondering if she could be a he!

8. FEggery

FEggery Just Hatched

Jun 8, 2016
    Iowa
    That would be hilarious!! I am going to try that!! lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by