1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Barred Rock Chick: Pullet or Cockerel?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Xiao Casa, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Xiao Casa

Xiao Casa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2014
    South Texas
    Hi Everyone,

So, I have a 16 day old Barred Rock who was sexed as a pullet and sent to us from Meyer Hatchery. She and another Barred Rock sister of hers have noticeable differences in coloring, and I'm worried that we may have a young rooster in our flock. "She" has substantial barring on the feathers she's got coming in, which I know is a bad sign.

Here are some pictures of her, what do you think? Pullet? [​IMG] (I know it's a little early, but I read that Barred Rocks can be color-sexed at a young age?)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(No need to concern yourselves with the Easter Egger in the last picture, we're content to wait and see with her. [​IMG])

2. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    From what I can see/tell it does look like a ROO, but it's really a little too early to be certain...best of luck!

3. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    I would say roo. We hatched out one with the white spot on the head. It was a roo. Gave him away to a happy home.

4. DianaMallory

DianaMallory Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2012
    Lancaster Ohio
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I sure hope it is a hen because it looks just like mine did at that age and mine are 4 weeks old now. I don't want any Roos and would have a hard time giving one of my (I am hoping) Girls up! I had the same thoughts when mine were that age one of my barred rocks over towers her sister. But they are both looking about the same to me now. I have also heard some strange noises coming from her, Time will tell! The first pic is at 4weeks the last pic is at 3weeks.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  5. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    All Barred/cuckoo birds are born with white spots on head, male and female. At 5 weeks it's pretty obvious by the comb, pink and growing, but even at 4 this one has no indication of being a cockerel. The black wash on front of legs is one of the primary indicators of Barred Plymouth Rock females too.

I see a pullet. You'll know for sure in a week or so. If any pink shows on comb by 6 weeks it's a cockerel. I doubt that is going to happen.

1 person likes this.
  6. Xiao Casa

Xiao Casa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2014
    South Texas
    Outpost, don't all barred rocks have a head spot? I thought so.

DianaMallory I'm with you there, I'm anxious for hens! They were vent sexed, which I know is not completely accurate, but she should be a hen... she must be a hen. I will be so sad if we have to give "her" away. We pick her up and handle her daily, informing her that she had better be a hen, and telling her what a good girl she is. Her thick, bold barring is a bad sign though... but her comb and wattles are a lot smaller than the other barred rock, and we know that she is a hen. She doesn't have barring, that one doesn't (poor girl), she only has little "flecks" of white and grey, sort of like dotted lines.

7. DianaMallory

DianaMallory Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2012
    Lancaster Ohio
    Thanks Egg head jr. This is my first time with barred rocks, this is my first time with a mixed flock. I have 2 BR. 2BO, 2 Delawares 2 BA and 4 Golded buffs. I got 4 golden buffs because that is what I always had in the past and they are great producers. I know how to tell a Roo in that breed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by