Barred Rock chick question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cqranch, Oct 23, 2008.

1. cqranch

cqranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Russellville
    At what age will a Barred Rock chick start to show the barring? I have one that at a month old is still solid black.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

They should show it from the first time you see the little wing feathers. Yours is not a BR.

3. cqranch

Aug 26, 2008
    Russellville
    Then my roo must not be a full BR. He does have the barring and I know the egg was a BR hen, because those were the only hens laying when I hatched them and he was the only roo I had at the time.

4. speckledhen

Can you post a picture of the little one? May be a little chickie-mutant, LOL. Does your rooster happen to have green in any of his tail feathers or any off color feathers? Sometimes a Black Sexlink rooster chick is plunked in the Barred Rock tank at the feedstore. They look similar.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2008
  5. cqranch

Aug 26, 2008
    Russellville
    Yes he does have some green in his tail feathers

6. cqranch

Aug 26, 2008
    Russellville
    now i'm gonna have to find a new roo.. @%#$!

7. speckledhen

I'm sorry. [​IMG]

8. Ellie

Ellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    I had a similar situation. I thought I had a BR rooster when in fact, he was a sex link. Speckled Hen is correct: they look very much alike and for a while too!

9. cqranch

Aug 26, 2008
    Russellville
    I think I may just turn the BR hens and my now Black sex-link roo in with the mixed flock and just hold that breeding coop for my Speckled Sussex this spring.

Here's a pic of the roo... tail feathers aren't solid, but do have some green in them..

[​IMG]

10. speckledhen

His hackles are much too silvery to be pure BR, so yes, I'd say that's a black sexlink rooster. And the barring is wildly erratic, another sign that he's not a pure BR. He is, however, half BR since that is the hen part of the equation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by