Barred rock chick..ROO or HEN

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by schap357, Mar 16, 2017.

1. schap357

schap357 New Egg

Mar 5, 2017
    Comfort, West Virginia
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. AZchickens17

AZchickens17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Awwww looks mine! Still too early to tell. My barred rock is only 2 weeks and already has a comb twice the size of yours. I think barred rocks just get their combs in really early.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Looks like a pullet to me.

4. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Too early to tell especially if you got it from a hatchery or a backyard keeper (vs. careful breeder).

Bared Rocks are sexable early only in controlled lines, and only within that line. The rules change between lines.

So dark wash vs. light wash, head dot size, etc., all means something different depending upon the line.

Hatcheries are notorious for breeding for production and not conformation, so it is very difficult to use the BR sexing techniques with them.

This particular chick still has a small, yellow comb, and definitely darker background, but it's early.

BR roos generally take off with combs by 5 weeks of age, so you should have some indication then...or not. Many hatchery hens are precocious and will mature earlier and tease you with a pink comb early.

My thoughts anyway.

LofMc

5. schap357

schap357 New Egg

Mar 5, 2017
    Comfort, West Virginia
    Thank yall..I've been doing ALOT of reading. I'm saying barred rock but honestly..my husband came across a broken chick shipment at the post office while at work and all of them died except this little one so he brought it home..the chicks were all mixed. So I don't know the breed, but it does look like a barred rock..could be dominiques or black sexlink too..anyways this little guy sparked our chicken fire and we have 36 eggs in the incubator day 9 today! lol

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    adorable pullet

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Too early to be sure, but I'm thinking pullet.

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Not a Dominique, they have rose combs and this little baby has a straight comb.

could still be a black sex link male, I guess. they're very similar to barred Rock pullets in color. The comb will tell the tale on that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by