Barred Rock Chick Spraddle Foot/Leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by floridaroo, Feb 2, 2013.

1. floridaroo

floridaroo New Egg

Jan 20, 2013
    This little fighter came to us with this obvious leg issue. I researched it and have been using a band-aid technique we read about on the web to bring her legs into line.
    At this point, she is much smaller than her mates but still vigorous. The others pick at her, but not to the extent that we have had to take her out of the brooder.

Anyway - the million dollar question is what I should do with her if the legs don't come together?

I have a household of women (3 girls and my wife) and they will probably want to raise the chick , but I grew up on a farm and know this may not be practicable.

The pics show views with the chick in its natural state and with the band aid bracing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    This little one can probably fully recover from this with a little TLC. Don't give up on her. You will maybe also want to make her a little cardboard boot to shape her foot to handle weight better and it will help her legs too. Here is some very helpful information and a must read. Good Luck. https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by