Barred rock chick

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by shmccarthy, Jul 26, 2013.

1. shmccarthy

shmccarthy Songster

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan
    I know it's best to wait until chicks are feathered to sex them, but I had a few hatch this morning and I just wanted to see if anyone had guesses. I had 3 Easter egger eggs and two hatched today on day 20 and the other is peeping in the egg, but has not hatched yet. I got a barred rock rooster a few months ago and I always thought the Easter egger rooster kept him away from the laying hens. Apparently he made a friend with one because I had a barred rock chick hatch out of a green egg! The other is an Easter egger and the third is still a mystery.
    Anyways, I heard there's ways to make educated guesses at the sex of barred rock chicks after hatching, if not I will just wait. :) the chick also has sporadic white fuzzes(feathers) and looks like it has lint or dust on it or something. This is what I am hoping is a little girl.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And the head spot

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    You can sex pure barred rock chicks by headspot at hatch, but since your bird is a mix it won't be accurate. Your bird only has one copy of the barring gene, regardless of gender, so it has a small headspot. You won't know until 6ish weeks or so. You might have folks tell you it's female due to the small headspot and it will likely feather in dark colored, like a pure barred pullet (vs a pure barred roo that feathers in lighter in color overall) but again, as it's not pure those aren't reliable indicators. You'll have to wait for comb development, thick legs, all those good things. Sorry.

3. shmccarthy

shmccarthy Songster

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan
    Darn, oh well. :) I guess I'll just have to play the guessing game until then, thanks!

4. donrae

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    It's always fun to guess! My roosters are all barred or partially barred, so I get lots of white headspots and have tried to guess from that, but it's just not possible. The cool thing is all the different colors/patterns you can get with the babies, though!

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO.

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    It looks to early to early to tell, sorry!

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Free Ranging

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Sounds like it could be a black sex link chick - which would make it a male. Females have no head spot.

7. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Crowing

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    X2

8. donrae

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    The OP said the rooster was the barred, so it would be backward for sex-linkage. Just fifty-fifty barred offspring.

9. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Free Ranging

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: