barred rock chicken experts opinions wanted

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mommy3, Oct 2, 2011.

1. mommy3

mommy3 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2011
    Plantsville, CT
    Good afternoon! We hatched 6 barred rock chicks 8 days ago. We have been trying to determine which are hens and which are going to be roos. The spot seems to be unreliable, color seems a little more dependable? So they are getting tail feathers and wing feathers and we are seeing one major difference in the wing feathers and want to know if we are interpreting it right since I have been unable to find a description of a difference here. The 3 we think are girls, seem to have white on the tips of the wing feathers and the boys seem to have white more at the bottom of the feathers. I am including pictures and would love some input! We will have to get rid of the roos because we can not have them in our area.
    [​IMG]
    this one shows what we think is female with the tips of feathers white

[​IMG]
    this one is what we believe to be male

[​IMG]
    3 girls?

[​IMG]
    3 boys?

Would love some help! [​IMG] Thanks:bow

2. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    They're too young at this time. Try posting pics of them when they are about 5 weeks

3. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

Sorry there to young but they are so cute!

4. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    Your guesses seem about right to me, but you just have to wait. These are more clues than die-hard facts.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Pretty good guesses, based on known BR sexing cues, as described in this article:

http://www.dominiquechicken.com/Sexing_Dominique_chicks.html

This link is good for Barred Rocks, Cuckoo Marans and Dominiques and has very good photos.

I've raised BRs for years and most of the time, I'm right, but in about 10% of the cases, they give misleading cues and have me guessing longer than normal. On rare occasion, I'm just flat wrong, LOL, but you did well on your diagnosis with these. Post again in a few weeks and we'll see if you were right.

6. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    [​IMG]

these are my last year roos...ALL of them, even the Australorps...at 2 days old

[​IMG]

here they are a bit older, a couple weeks...post some pics of yours in a few weeks...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by