Barred rock chicks 3-4 wks? Pullets or roosters??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by oliviaandjosh4, Jun 16, 2016.

1. oliviaandjosh4

oliviaandjosh4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2014
    I bought these two barred rock chicks about two weeks ago and they looked to be about 2 weeks or so at the time. The chick in the front has always been a little bigger so I'm guessing it is older than the other one in the back (the small chick is a cochin).
    They both look pretty dark to me, the one up front has dark leg wash and a small tail coming in. The one in the back has a bigger tail and not sure on the leg wash.

Anyone know or want to make a guess pullets or roos or one of each?

I will try to get better pictures tomorrow, my guess is the one up front a pullet and not sure on the one in the back.

Do barred rock hens or roosters develop a tail first??

Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. DuckGirl77

DuckGirl77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2016
    They are a little young to tell, but so far I think they are pullets. I believe cockerel's tails grow slower at first than pullet's, but I don't think that's an extremely accurate way to sex chicks :)

3. oliviaandjosh4

Apr 28, 2014
    Thanks for the reply! I am hoping for pullets as I already have a BR rooster. I will keep this thread updated with pictures

4. TheChickInn29

TheChickInn29 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2015
    Can anyone help me sex one of my 4 month old Dominique? (Named Pepper)Im thinking pullet..but sometimes pepper will snap at my hand. Its gotten better, just pepper can usuaully be a little Tiger sometimes. However, pepper does enjoy snuggling under a blanket (or your shirt) and is a lap chicken.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. DuckGirl77

Apr 19, 2016
    Pepper is a pullet :)

6. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    I'm not seeing the yellow skin of a Barred Rock. That looks more like a Marans. The overall, dark look indicates pullet.

7. TheChickInn29

TheChickInn29 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2015
    YAY thank you [​IMG]

8. oliviaandjosh4

Apr 28, 2014
    Here's a few pictures I took today..

The bigger one (the one up front) has a pale yellow-tan comb with a black marking on the beak, and light tan/grey legs with the black/grey wash on the front.

The smaller one has the yellow comb and yellow legs with a little black wash on the front.

To me, the feather patterns look different.

So is the bigger one a marans? And the smaller one a barred rock? I got these for free from a local breeder who screwed my order up the first time giving me the wrong breeds, and looks like she has done it yet again [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. DuckGirl77

Apr 19, 2016
    Sorry, I don't know the breeds, but they all look like pullets :)

10. oliviaandjosh4

Apr 28, 2014
    Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by