Barred Rock chicks....age and sex?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Loving My Peeps, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Loving My Peeps

Loving My Peeps Chicken Whisperer

Aug 19, 2010
    Central, Maine
    I recently bought 3 barred rock chicks from an animal trade at TSC. I am pretty sure that I have 2 pullets and 1 roo. I have no idea how old they are but I am slowly introducing them into my flock of 9.....all 7 month old hens. Any idea on the age of these beauties?
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2010
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

They look to be around 12-13 weeks old to me. Yes, you have one male and two females.

3. Loving My Peeps

Aug 19, 2010
    Central, Maine
    Thank you speckledhen [​IMG] That's what I was hoping for with the genders. He will be my 1st roo, any info on raising a BR roo? I have them on starter crumble and layer pellet mixed together. They will free range but since this is the 1st full day with them they are confined to a fenced in area. I'm not sure exactly how to mix them into my own flock so I'm just taking it slow for now. I have 1 Golden Comet hen who is chasing the baby BR along the fence. Hope it works out.

4. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    We raised a BR roo from a chick and he was the best roo of the flock. He was a packing peanut chick from an Ideal poultry order and impressioned himself on my daughter from the begnning. She would give him a back massage almost daily and he would sleep the whole time she was scratching his back. He was slightly spoiled...

5. saylernsaxonsmom

saylernsaxonsmom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2010
    Petersburg
    Hello Scshev,

We are new to raising chickens, but have a few BR roos. Our boys have had pretty dominant characteristics, so far. They have been pretty independent when compared to our Cochin and Buff Orp roos. I think they make really beautiful roosters, so we are glad to have them.

Saying that, I've been working doubly hard getting them integrated into the flock. One in particular seems to want to dominate all the chickens in the run. This does not make for friendly relations in the flock. At this point, my rooster is avoided by all due to his nasty behavior. If he's on one side of the run, all the chickens move to the opposite side. It gets pretty hairy when he naps by the favored watering station. (We didn't get him as a day old chick; he joined us at 6 weeks. This is probably why he's not as sweet as our others.) He's also a teenager. He's more interested in getting his share than seeing to his ladies.

Away from the coop, he's a pretty nice guy. Right now he's sleeping next to our Great Dane. (The only animal who isn't worried about being tackled into the dirt!). I'm sure you'll find yours to have his own plucky personality, too!

Good luck!

6. grassfedeggs

grassfedeggs Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2010
    My 12 week old BR pullets look just like your girls! I had a question about one of mine, I thought she might be a he but after seeing what your roo looks like I pretty sure I have all pullets. We LOVE our BRs!

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yes, 1 rooster and 2 pullets.

8. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    They look just like my 13 week olds this is Lindy and Sweet Pea

[​IMG]

9. Loving My Peeps

Aug 19, 2010
    Central, Maine
    They look identical to mine. I'm guessing mine to be about 12 weeks, maybe 13. My pullets are very skittish but my roo stands right up and tries to peck my hand away. I'm not backing down to him, as I want him to know who the real boss is....hehe. I hope I can break him and earn his trust. My older girls (all 7 months old) are so tamed that they will all come to me when I call them, they all squat for me to hold them. No issues with my girls, except they don't love the little ones just yet.

10. bella1210

bella1210 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    ct
    i also think you have 1 roo 2 hens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by