Barred Rock Chicks: Guys or Gals?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by griswell, Aug 25, 2010.

1. griswell

griswell Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2010
    Phenix City
    Okay we had someone give us two more babies, and the only reason I took them is that I think these are both ladies. I THINK! However, I know there are people here who know more than I do from the experience they have had, so I will post pics and let you give me the good or bad news about my judgement. [​IMG]

I tried to get closeups of the legs for the dark wash factor, but also the top of the head for the headspot. The battery is there for size reference. A strange thing; the second chick has a nice set of little wings...almost all the feathers are in and he/she can get a tiny bit of "lift-off" when the mood strikes. She is also smaller than any of the other chicks, by a large margin. Supposedly, they are all bantams. What's up with the midgie? [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Geez that first one is throwing me. It's got the irregular headspot of a male, but it's body coloring and leg wash point to female.

I'm going to go with both girls. I'll be watching to see what others like Cynthia say.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The first one could go either way. Although the head spot is large, it is very defined around the edges, a pullet trait. The barring seems pullet-ish, it already has a tiny tail coming in and some dark on the leg fronts. I'm betting they're both pullets, though I am much more sure of the second one than the first.

Here is a baby picture of Lexie (L) and Ivy (R), both pullets, but you can see the much larger head spot on Lexie and her lighter color and wider bars. Still, she's going on five years old now and most definitely a hen. She also did not have much black on her leg fronts and many pullets do not.

[​IMG]

4. griswell

Aug 19, 2010
    Phenix City
    Happy Dance!!! [​IMG] Thank you so much guys!

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  5. Gallusfarm

Gallusfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    I'd say they are both girls. These photos are great!

6. griswell

Aug 19, 2010
    Phenix City
    Quote:I'm actually a pro photographer, and I do a lot of product shots. This is the first time I have done chickens. [​IMG]

Thanks for the kudos! [​IMG]

7. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Judging from that last pic, I think the one on the left is a roo and the one on the right a pullet.

8. griswell

Aug 19, 2010
    Phenix City
    Quote:Those aren't the ones in question; those were an example sent by another member. Mine are on top.

9. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Quote:Those aren't the ones in question; those were an example sent by another member. Mine are on top.

[​IMG] opps...both pullets then.

10. griswell

Aug 19, 2010
    Phenix City
    WOOT! More happy dancing!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by