Barred Rock Chicks-How to tell gender

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by PoultryGirly, Apr 11, 2012.

1. PoultryGirly

PoultryGirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    How can I tell the gender of my 4 and a half week old Barred Rock chicks? Some are very dark with not a lot of white, and some are a grayish black color with white stripes. Can you tell from color? Sorry, no pics right now. Maybe can get some soon. Thanks in advance.
  2. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    I've been having a look through some old threads, to see if I can find anything out, and it appears to me that people are saying roosters are lighter than the females.

I'm not sure though, so don't take my word on it! Pictures would certainly help people identify them. Good luck!

Ah, wait, I've just found a better thread.
    I hope this helps! There's a lot of good info there.
  3. applefalls

applefalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Cockeysville, MD
    I had barred rocks a few years ago and wasted a lot of time worrying about them being roosters! They acted like roosters, and to this day one of mine STILL acts like a rooster!
    Every 'tip' I read that could distinguish them as roosters fit their descriptions perfectly, yet it turned out that none of them were roosters.[​IMG]

So my advice to you is to take what you read with a grain of salt. You'll know for sure when they start (or don't start) laying![​IMG]
  4. PoultryGirly

PoultryGirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    Thanks everyone. Your posts were VERY helpful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by