1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Barred Rock Chicks' Latest Outdoor Adventures - PIC HEAVY!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hollyinpa, Jun 2, 2008.

1. hollyinpa

hollyinpa Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2008
    Our six, 4-week old barred rock chicks are quickly outgrowing our rubbermaid "home" in the sunroom. We were able to rig up a make-shift outdoor run for them last week and they enjoyed being in the grass and sun.

This weekend we rigged up a sturdier coop for them - granted, we don't have any predators aside from the occasional hawk - using our swing frame, chicken wire and an old ladder. They LOVE it! They now can see all around the yard.

We put them out there each afternoon for a few hours and all day on the weekends when the weather cooperates. We bring them in each night.

Their fancy coop will arrive in a couple weeks.

[​IMG]

Here they are enjoying full use of an old ladder we've turned into a roost:

[​IMG]

Their big sisters, Gladys and Granny, have their own digs for now:

[​IMG]

The new coop will house all 8 of the hens when the six chicks are big enough to hold their own.

2. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

That is a cute idea!!! And looks as neat as a....well, as neat as a pen, er....pin! I like the swing frame idea. They certainly look happy! [​IMG]

3. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    Nice coop for the older birds, I was considereing getting it for my small flock. how big is it?

4. hollyinpa

Mar 12, 2008
    We ordered the 4' x 4' coop as a kit and had it delivered. It was easy to put together. There is room for 2-3 nesting boxes inside and a roost. There is a door that leads to the run which can be closed off with a solid panel or a wire panel. There is also a door on the other end of the henhouse that has the same options panel-wise.

For the winter we closed up the top wire vents on either side to cute down on drafts. I think it would be fine for 3 hens AT MOST. We've never had them stay cooped up together in just the henhouse except at night. They've always had run of the run during daylight hours and freerange when we are home.

We also added to the 4' x 4'x run that the kit came with to make it bigger. We also added our homeade slant-roof design to what was otherwise only a wire roof.

What size birds do you have?

5. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    Darn I have 5 standard. 4 RSL and 1 welsummer.

6. hollyinpa

Mar 12, 2008
  7. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    I don't see any prices on it. How much are they. I also need a coop for my 3 pheasant that I am keeping.

8. hollyinpa

Mar 12, 2008
    Quote:Price Information
    6x6 Chicken Coop w/ Nest Area $999.00
    4x6 Chicken Coop $750.00
    6x10 Chicken Coop $1299.00

They are not cheap. We built our first chicken coop (for 3 hens) using a pre-fab dog kennel kit and spent about $400. The one we have now was a chicken coop kit for about $500. We just don't have the time or skill to build one that will blend in...we want a coop that will look decorative for us and for our neighbors. One of our neighbors has 3 acres and has quite a flock of chickens. We only have 1/3 of an acre and want our little flock to be less noticeable to passers-by.[​IMG]

BTW...the coop we ordered will be delivered AND assembled for us! WHOOT!

Last edited: Jun 2, 2008
  9. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    I really liked to see your pics since we have 8 BR that are a little over a week old. (I think they are) Interesting to see what they will look like in a few weeks.
    Good idea too! We need to get my older (almost 5 week olders) outside during the day. They free range for the most part, but I don't let them out of my sight. My cat caught a good glimpse of my chicks today. [​IMG]

10. FrontPorchIndiana

FrontPorchIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    That's a great idea! And I'll bet they're loving it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by