Barred Rock chicks

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Quailbuddy, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Quailbuddy

Quailbuddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    Sonoma County CA
    Hi I am looking into raising Barred Rock Hens from chicks. Is that a good breed? I am going to buy them from Welp Hatchery. . . is that a good hatchery. they say that they Priority mail them to you the day they are born but to me that sounds too young. Also what is a pullet ? Sorry for all the questions [​IMG]
    Here is the link to Welp's Hatchery
    http://www.welphatchery.com/index.asp
    Thank You
    ~ Quailbuddy:D

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:Quailbuddy:

First off, Welcome to BYC

[​IMG]

Barred Rocks are an excellent breed, Welp is a good hatchery. They send them at a day old and they'll be fine.

Pullets are female chicks. That's what you want.

Good luck.

3. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Quote:Quailbuddy:

First off, Welcome to BYC

[​IMG]

Barred Rocks are an excellent breed, Welp is a good hatchery. They send them at a day old and they'll be fine.

Pullets are female chicks. That's what you want.

Good luck.

I agree with Mahonri. Also [​IMG]

4. xjchief

xjchief Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2009
    I'm about a month and change into my chicken experience and we started with a single rock hen. She's the friendliest and a sweetest little thing ever. Their breed profile says they're typically very docile and friendly. Mine would like nothing better than to cuddle with me. When she got sick I didn't think twice about taking her to the vet because I didnt' know what I was doing. She managed to eliminate chicken from the menu at our house.

Just one person's experience and like I said before, I'm only one month into this.

5. Barred Rocker

Barred Rocker cracked egg

Jul 15, 2009
    King and Queen Co, Va
    I love my barred rocks, they are the friendliest and have such delightfull personalities. You won't be dissapointed. I don't know anything about welp's hatchery. I got mine as hatching eggs online from a few farms here and there. The ones that I hatched last July are starting to lay now and I'm amazed how large the eggs are right off the bat. Good luck and welcome to byc!

6. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    [​IMG] from Texas.
    I don't know anything about Welp Hatchery, but you can trust the other folks opinion(knowledgeable people here). What I CAN help you with is to tell you that the Barred Rocks are a fantastic choice! I absolutely love mine,far friendlier than any of my others and mine rarely miss a day laying.
    Good luck to you!

7. Quailbuddy

Quailbuddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    Sonoma County CA
    Also I live in California . . . and I cant really bring them inside when it is cold in the winter ( I havent gotten them yet) but when i get them as chicks I will probably keep them in a cardboard box with bedding water and food. Is there any special thing i need to do to get them to eat there feed? How long until they can go in there outside enclosure? There enclosure has gravel in the bottom and then a house with three nesting boxes and a shelf they can lay on closer to the top with ventilation on all sides. There is a ladder going up to the chicken coop but the house is only like6 in. from the ground. Does this sound ok. WHat should I add for metal stimulation Sorry for all the questions

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  8. Green Ridge MO

Green Ridge MO Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2010
    Green Ridge, Missouri
    My first hens were barred rock from Welp and I was extremely pleased - absolutely no complaints. I ordered 25 and had great results.

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Barred Plymouth Rocks are fabulous birds, my favorite. They are friendly, intelligent, curious and excellent layers. Chicks can live off their yolk sac for 3 days, which is why they are shipped the moment they hatch. All you need is good quality chick starter and fresh water. Keep them inside till they are fully feathered, 4-6 weeks, and then they can go out into their coop. Keep the bedding dry and the water clean and you'll have no trouble. Just make sure there are no drafts at floor level in their coop, but do have ventilation up high because their breathing and poop add alot of moisture into the air.

10. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Yep I agree with everyone else, Barred Rocks are the PERFECT starter breed. They live off of their egg yolk for the first 2-3 days, that's why they are able to be shipped at such a young age without needing food or water during the trip, it they were any older, you'd have to get express shipping or they wouldn't survive. I don't think it's been memtioned yet, but make sure you have a heat lamp to keep them warm. Get a good starter feed and fill their feeder and put a paper towel beside the feeder and scatter some feed on it too so they will find it easier, use a watering fount that they can't drownd in and you should be set.

GOOD LUCK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by