Barred rock chicks

Tauris75

Hatching
6 Years
Feb 9, 2013
Hi all,

I have read the a few posts so have a feeling my wee chicks are hens not roos but can you give me your opinions. According to the lady i got them off two may well not be full breed barred rock but crossed.

The chicks are about 3 - 4 weeks old, I got them and their Mum when they were just over a week old.

Chick one

Chick two (noisy thing)

Chick Three

Mum and babies on the day we got them

If they are cross breeds (and that top one definitely looks like a cross), then the sexing rules that go with the sex-linked barring genes won't hold true. So I would tell you that chicks two and three look like girls, but you shouldn't count on it because the rules don't apply anymore if they are crossed. :)

I wondered if that would be the case, I know one of the two possible crosses is a Silver Wyndonette so looking at pics of the chicks I would say chick one is def barred rock, wyndonette cross

But...... what WILL tend to be the same is this. At 6 weeks? The cockerels' combs will redden up and little starter wattles will sprout under their beaks. The pullets will not sprout red wattles until much, much later and their combs should remain a dull, yellow color.

It won't be long and you'll be quite accurate in sexing them.

Well, if that momma is the genetic momma, they're not pure barred rock, cause she's not pure rock. The top bird in the only one I can't tell on the comb well, the other two have straight combs so probably no wyandotte in the blood, unless it's a crop-out straight combed wyandotte. At this point they look like pullets, but as stated you'll have a better idea around six weeks.

Just got hold of the lady I got chooks off and she said the chicks will be barred rock or Barred Rock/Buff Orpington or Barred Rock/Hyline. Not too worried on breed as long as they lay ok :)

Mummy and chicks were out sun bathing today - they love summer :)

Yeah, you can see from how light the mother is that the normal rules for gender ID on barred birds won't work here ( normally only males get that light colored).

General masculine features that won't be affected by mixed-breeding overly much: Males will have thicker legs and generally have a more outgoing personality (this is how the 'favorite' is almost always male). They will stand tall a lot while the females keep their bodies horizontal. They will develop red combs and wattles MUCH earlier than the females. I've found males also tend to feather slower. If you have one that has nothing but a fuzz nubbin while everyone else has a tail, that's 99% likely to be a boy. And lastly, listen for crowing. It can start as early as six weeks (I had a manly little cochin who did).

Last edited:
If they are cross breeds (and that top one definitely looks like a cross), then the sexing rules that go with the sex-linked barring genes won't hold true. So I would tell you that chicks two and three look like girls, but you shouldn't count on it because the rules don't apply anymore if they are crossed. :)
Agreed

I know the fact that they may be crosses changes the sexlink but I am pretty sure I have two hens and a roo looking at the colours. The lighter one is the first one in the OP and its comb is more pronounced than the other two (not able to be seen in the pics) and may be getting a touch of red

I know the fact that they may be crosses changes the sexlink but I am pretty sure I have two hens and a roo looking at the colours. The lighter one is the first one in the OP and its comb is more pronounced than the other two (not able to be seen in the pics) and may be getting a touch of red

Good pictures here. Looks like two pullets and one cockerel.

Back
Top Bottom