Barred Rock choosing my keepers

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by AHappychick, Dec 26, 2008.

1. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    I ordered a bunch of barred rock chicks straight run. with the purpose of culling the roos at 14-15 weeks. I would however like to select one to keep but I am not sure what I should look for in my keeper. I am assuming plumage, coloring and attitude come into play but was wondering what exactly I should look for. In addition if I sell some of the hens what should I look for in my keepers since they wont be laying at that time.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

FrontPorchIndiana has a rooster named Bob. He is the son of my dear, departed Hawkeye and one of my hens. Hawkeye was only a hatchery BR, but he had a very good, broad chest, great eyes and a sweet temperament. Bob is what I consider one of his finest sons. The barring is crisp, not faded, and straight, not chevron patterned. He's in her avatar and also she posted some great pics a short time ago. There are show birds you can see, but rarely will any hatchery bird stand up to that. Bob isnt too shabby, IMO.

Found it, this thread, post #2 https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=110951

Last edited: Dec 26, 2008
  3. FrontPorchIndiana

FrontPorchIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    Awwwww, just like a proper grandma showing off pics of her grandbabies! [​IMG]

Keep in mind temperment. You do have to live with them after all.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I know, Christine, I'm shameless! Absolutely, temperament is paramount, IMO. Now, you wont really know a rooster's temperament till he begins to notice the girls. Hormonal changes will bring out the good or the bad. Most of Hawkeye's progeny is very sweet-tempered, but never forget that a cockerel can turn aggressive when he is maturing, no matter what his genetics.

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Bob is absolutely handsome!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 26, 2008
  6. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    oh bob is very handsome I will use him as my comparison thanks!

7. FrontPorchIndiana

FrontPorchIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    Yeah, Bob's quite the ladies man. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by