barred rock cochin bantams

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Orps, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Orps

Orps Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2012
    Still very new to chickens so you must forgive me for my stupid question.
    Someone is selling barred rock cochin bantams. I want to know more about this breed. I googled it and found pictures but not much on temperament, size, etc..

So what exactly is a barred rock cochin bantam?

Is it a bantam Plymouth rock with feather feet? Or is it a bantam cochin with the barr pattern? Is it a mix breed? Is it a breed of it's own? What is it exactly?

2. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    It is not a breed at all. There are Barred Plymouth Rock Bantams & there are Barred Cochin Bantams which is probably what's being sold. They are 2 different breeds.
    For general information on Barred Cochin Bantams just look for Cochin Bantam info-their qualities & behaviors don'y vary by variety. In general they will be calm, gentle birds that don't tend to lay very well but do tend to go broody easily. They general make good mothers.
    However, I'd suggest you look for a different source. A person that doesn't even know what they are selling isn't likely to produce birds of quality. Remember, it doesn't cost any more to care for a well bred bird that it does a poorly bred bird & the well bred bird is one you'll probably enjoy more. It will certainly be a more attractive bird.

3. Orps

Orps Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2012
    Thank you for the information. Very helpful. And I agree with you. Flags should be up going up when the breeder do not know what they are selling. And definitely it is worth the wait for a better bred bird. Thank you!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by