Barred rock cockerel whos better?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jthayerkatz, Sep 7, 2009.

1. jthayerkatz

jthayerkatz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2008
    Holland, MA
    we have two barred rock males that are 9 weeks old. we are going to be culling one of them and would like advice as to which one. the one on the left is bigger and has a beautiful body structure and the one on the rightis smaller but has nice red comb and waddles. we plan on breeding and want the best specimen. we have already judged their temperment and are looking at their other charicteristics to help make the final decision. we know that at 9 weeks they are still young but any advice would be helpful.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    The one on the left.

3. jthayerkatz

Aug 13, 2008
    Holland, MA
    Quote:OK to keep or cull?

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I believe she means to keep. The body type is better, broader, it seems. Always start with the best body type then work from there.

5. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Sorry, yes, to keep.

The body type is what you want. To me, the slower a bird is to reach sexual maturity, the more I want him in my breeding stock. When a bird reaches sexual maturity, it seems to me that the growth slows more than with birds who are not maturing as rapidly.

6. jthayerkatz

Aug 13, 2008
    Holland, MA
    That is nice too hear because he was the one we had chosen as well. [​IMG]
    Spike is still the best of what we have, even at his age, but Chubby Checker will play as a good backup. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by