Barred Rock Cockerel, Zane...Updates

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
For those of you who were following my Barred Rock cockerel, Zane's progress, thought I'd let you know what's happening. We were about to go put him in his sling today when I noticed that he had a huge fluid bubble on the left hock joint. We drained it as best we could (all sorts of nasty blood and infection came out), put a cream on it that a friend who works with hawk rehab brought me, and wrapped it in vetwrap. As soon as it warms up, we're going to inject him with Pen-G for a few days to combat infection. He has previously been on Doxycycline orally at the beginning of this, but I feel he certainly needs another round after all that junk we drained from the joint. This may have been what was keeping him from making more progress, although he has done very well lately, even walking a few steps at a time. That leg we drained the fluid from is the one that has been weaker and keeping him from standing up all the way. Cross your fingers that this will knock out the infection and be a big turning point.

Poor Zane, hopefully all that crud localized right there in his hock joint like an abscess and you were able to get it drained out of there. Hopefully the round of antibiotics will get him fixed up and going for good now. It's amazing how bodies work to get the infection out.

i'm not sure if this a good idea for chickens or not but for calves with infected navels i soak them in epsom salt, it draws out the infection. (meds too of course)

Wow, Cyn! Draining the gunk and getting him started on meds should nip it pretty quick. Especially since he is feeling better overall, and looking so much stronger.

fl.gif
that this will make the difference!

well I hope he is up intime to compete with little dutch who apears to be turning into quite a little stud
lol.png
sounds like progress I am so glad!

Henry

Hey, that's GREAT that you found something that's the most likely candidate for his issue of not being able to walk well!! I'm thrilled to hear this, and hope that he recovers completely - and quickly!
smile.png

That stuff just needed to find its way out of his body, it looks terrible, but means the body is fighting the infection and winning. This should be the turning point on his way to recovery.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom