Barred Rock Critique?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by SunshineSteedFarm, Jul 13, 2010.

1. SunshineSteedFarm

SunshineSteedFarm Seramatching Equestrian

Aug 18, 2009
    Georgia
    Hello, I thought I would come here to maybe have a critique on my Barred Rock hen. I am just curious to what others think. It wont hurt my feelings knowing the truth [​IMG]
    Some history on her is that we go her for free from a lady who couldnt afford to keep her. And she has been with us ever since laying beautiful brown eggs for us. [​IMG]

(sorry about the messy background. they are from the winter and the coop was a mess.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you and have a lovely afternoon!
    Sunshine [​IMG]

2. farmer geek

farmer geek Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2010
    Beautiful!!!

3. meglet

meglet New Egg

Apr 10, 2010
    Not show quality, but she looks very fat and healthy!

4. SunshineSteedFarm

Aug 18, 2009
    Georgia
    Thanks!
    Teehee, yep she is a chubby one! She loves her food [​IMG]
    But she is the smartest and she knows the best spots to look for bugs, and she doesnt share the spots with anyone else. So she is a heavy girl. [​IMG]

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I think she's very nice. I agree, she's not show quality, but neither is mine. Mine is a big girl too. [​IMG] My girl is always the first to come take bugs from me. I find a caterpillar or a grasshopper (or lately a hornworm [​IMG] I hate those things!) and she's the first to come get it.

6. roosterdog

roosterdog Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2010
    Throckmorton
    Quote:Critique? as in show quality? I wouldn't have a clue. But, she looks beautiful to me. Glad you have her.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  7. SunshineSteedFarm

Aug 18, 2009
    Georgia
    new2chooks: Thank you! eeek! Hornworms? Yuck, I do not like those things.lol

roosterdog: Really any type of critique. Like the quality of her barring, comb, etc. [​IMG] Thank you!

8. Hennypen

Hennypen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    I think she's very pretty.

Where are the "specs" on what show quality plymouth rocks should look like? I have Silver Pencil PR's and want to improve my line but I have no idea what a show quality PR looks like.

9. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    You've got yourself a very pretty lil' fattie! Yeah, not for show... but she looks very healthy! [​IMG] Enjoy her!

10. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:Oh, but the chickens think they are delicious! I won't even touch the things when they get as big as my pinky finger. So I tear off the stem they are on and drag in between the hornworm and the stem against the fence until they fall down to the chickens. I'd toss the whole thing in there, but tomato plants are toxic, so I'm not taking any chances there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by