Barred Rock cross...with what?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MontanaDolphin, Aug 5, 2013.

1. MontanaDolphin

MontanaDolphin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2013
    Columbia, Virginia
    So I bought some chicks 5 months ago that were "supposed" to be Barred Rocks. Long story short, Mt. Healthy Hatchery in Ohio shipped the wrong chicks to Southern States where I got them. They are called "Commercial Blacks". When I called the hatchery, they told me they are Barred Rock crosses, but there are different breeds they could be crossed with so they couldn't tell me specifics. I've asked before if anyone knew what they could be crossed with, but the pics and the post were when the chicks were a few weeks old.

Now that they've "grown up", I'm hoping someone here can tell me what they are crossed with. Lots of pics to help :)

First, these two looked different than the other four...they had brown around their eyes as chicks. Here's pics of them as chicks, and then all grown up. The other four looked like regular old BR chicks. Since these two are the most obviously different, I'm posting their pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    I'm not sure, you can never be too sure what a breed could be crossed with, sorry!

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Agree with Happy,

You'll likely never know what goes into these various and sundry hatchery mixes, with any degree of certainty.
    Mt Healthy didn't/wouldn't even tell you.

The hatchery quality Barred Rock is useful for making black sex links and/or head dot sexing of chicks. Unless someone who works at a particular hatchery actually told you what birds were used in these various crosses the customer doesn't ever know for certain. In many cases the parent stock themselves are a mix.

Commercial blacks, Black sex links, etc get confused for Barred Rocks by feed store employees and customers alike. All folks see is blackish chicks in a bin.

Look how many nifty names and mixes there are for hatchery Red Sex Links.
    How many Tints, Specs, and variations off the White Leghorn are sold? A bunch. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  4. peppersow

peppersow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2013
    Arkansas
    they look nice, though.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Sorry, you're never going to know. Pretty much all you can say is it was another straight combed breed. Really, doesn't matter if they lay well, right?

6. popsicle

popsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

A hatchery like that probably knows exactly what they are crossed with--especially if they are a "commercial" layer. However, the breeding is probably a proprietary strain and a trade secret.

7. MontanaDolphin

MontanaDolphin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2013
    Columbia, Virginia
    Hmm...so I'll never know then, huh? Crap.

Well, let me ask ya'll this: What if I gave a list of the chickens they do carry? Would that help?

Aroucana/Ameraucana
    Black Giant
    Black Sex Link (RIR male/BR female cross)
    Buff Orpington
    Cornish Rock Cross (Cornish male/White Rock female cross)
    Hubbard Golden Comet
    Light Brahma
    Buff Brahma
    Dark Brahma
    Golden Laced Wyandotte
    Silver Laced Wyandotte
    New Hampshire
    Partridge Rock
    Rhode Island Red
    Brown Leghorn
    Babcock White Leghorn
    Production Red (NH/RIR cross)
    DeKalb Amberlink
    Columbian Rock Cross (RIR female/Columbian male cross)
    Red Cross (RIR male/Columbian female cross)
    Tetra Tint (RIR male/White Leghorn female cross)
    Dixie Rainbow

8. peppersow

May 6, 2013
    Arkansas
    I'm not sure, and I'm not good at breed guessing, but maybe RIR? I don't know.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  9. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    Wow thats tricky ! One clue I like to know is their front chest color is very light, hmmmm? Im scratching my head ! They look almost full breed ! Could be that other breed is 1/4th of something? Anyway I like them all very nice birds..

10. peppersow

May 6, 2013
    Arkansas
    thebanthams might be right. Its likely there a couple of different breeds mixed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by