Barred Rock Crosses Not So Easy...Just an FYI

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by speckledhen, Jun 10, 2011.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Just posting these in the spirit of education. Lately, I've seen so many folks post what they thought were pure BR chicks for sexing, obvious cockerels (to me and some others) but they were told that they were BR pullets because they were darker with some dark on the legs, in spite of the odd, ghosty barring and the red combs for the young age. Many times, when you see that, you're looking at a BR cross cockerel rather than a pure BR pullet. Of course, time would tell the tale, but thought I'd post these pics of three chicks I used to have so you could see what I meant.

These siblings are just over 3 weeks old in the pictures. If most of you saw the first pic, you'd say it was a BR pullet, right? 100% wrong. That is a cockerel, sired by a Silver Phoenix rooster over BR hen. Males get barring from the mom. All these are Silver Phoenix x BR males.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

To complete the picture for you, here is their sister, the only female SP x BR out of that hatch:

[​IMG]

2. marymac

marymac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Northeast Ohio
    I thought it was the opposite, barred are male and solid black female?

3. speckledhen

Barred ones with BR mothers and Phoenix sire are the males and the solid black one is female, yes. I'm not sure I understand what you thought was opposite, though.

4. marymac

marymac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Northeast Ohio
    Quote:Sorry, I some how miss read your post... just woke up and got on here, I guess my head was still blury.

5. speckledhen

LOL, that's okay. [​IMG]

6. LizzieMac

LizzieMac Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    I hope I am not confused about what I have: they are about 3 wks old. It could be a pic of the same bird, they are hard for me to tell apart.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. speckledhen

Those need to feather out a tad more, but though there is no wash down the leg fronts, the comb doesn't appear to be turning pink like the ones on my Phoenix/BR crosses did so early on. I'm no expert on sexing-it's really an art more than a science-but I've seen so many obvious BR crosses lately, or that I felt were crosses that were being ID'd as BR pullets and I was positive that they were not for reasons I stated previously.

I want people to be aware that a BR male will pass barring on to his sons and daughters, even when the mother is not a barred hen, but a BR hen will pass barring on to her sons (and only her sons, not daughters) when their sire is not a BR. Hatchery BRs are so terrible these days that it also muddies the waters, but after raising so many BRs and even many BR crosses, you get a sense of what you're looking at when you see these chicks posted for sexing help.

8. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    This is an adult boy from a BR mother and an ameraucana father.
    [​IMG]

He has the barring of a female pure BR, but there are these really cool vertical iridescent green stripes in there (from his father?). He turned into a really cool mix.

9. LizzieMac

LizzieMac Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    Quote:Wow- glad someone figured this out to share with the rest of us!

10. Balechicks

Balechicks New Egg

May 30, 2011
    oooh! that rooster is be ute ti full!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by