Barred Rock? Cuckoo Marans? Mixed? What do I have?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by eggsellentfarms, Jan 3, 2014.

1. eggsellentfarms

eggsellentfarms Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2010
    Oregon
    I just bought some young hens last night, two of which were supposed to be Barred Rock. However, when putting them in the coop, I noticed one looked different, had more of a lace pattern. Also, her color is lighter, more of a gray. But her legs are definitely yellow. I took these pics early this morning, so I had to use flash. If I get home in time I may be able to take some better pics this afternoon.
    Any thoughts on what I have?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Her comb says Maran but shank color says BR. It looks like she might have a white earlobe so that would put her as a barred leghorn. The comb, shanks and earlobe all are correct for a BL.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Well, she's not a barred rock, is she? [​IMG]

It's difficult to tell if that's really muddy barring or lacing. She looks to have a lot of leghorn influence--it will be interesting to see what color eggs she lays. I think I'm seeing white lobes?

I'm not real familiar with all the leghorn-based hybrids, but wonder if she's something like a California grey, or one of those type of mixes.

4. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

She looks blue on my screen, not barred at all.

I think she's a mutt, and looks VERY healthy and shiny. I like shiny.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  5. Percheron chick

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    She does fit the California Grey. Her body type of more grey than leghorn.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Looks blue laced to me also - body type and earlobe says strong leghorn influence. I would love to have a flock looking just like her.

7. eggsellentfarms

eggsellentfarms Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2010
    Oregon
    It wasn't light enough to take a good picture when I got home this evening. Hopefully tomorrow I can get some good shots.
    I could be wrong, but I didn't notice any colors other than gray, black, and white. She's very pretty though, and very healthy looking. All the hens I got seem to be in great shape. Unfortunately, she's probably just a hatchery oops that they thought would be close enough to sell as a barred rock at a feed store. If she turns out to be a good layer, I'd love to try to breed more with a similar appearance. But if she is a mutt, is there even a remote chance of getting the same appearance from any of her offspring?

8. Percheron chick

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    what color egg does she lay?

9. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    I agree

10. dretd

dretd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO
    The blue lacing and white ears make me think Blue Andalusian. Her legs should be more of a blue-grey color so that is off. Perhaps an Andalusian mix or just Hatchery Quality. Definitely looks blue laced, not barred so I vote no on the California Grey.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by