Barred Rock Diarrhea

TheLaboratoryBF

Songster
8 Years
Mar 18, 2015
Central Valley, California
Since we all raise chickens (or animals of some sort), I'd like to think none of us would be squeamish, but to be on the safe side: WARNING: POOP PHOTO ATTACHED BELOW.

My 3-year-old barred rock hen had droppings clinging to the feathers below her vent a couple weeks ago, so I cleaned her up and clipped the fluffiest feathers down. Checked her vent and surrounding skin; she had some feathers missing just below her vent (almost like a reverse "landing strip" for lack of a better term), no sign of gleet, mites, lice, or fleas, and no redness, irritation, swelling, or other issues with her vent. She's laying regularly (clean eggs), eating and drinking regularly, and interacting with the flock and foraging normally. Clear eyes, no respiratory issues, and bright red comb and wattles. I have been monitoring her during free range time and most of her poops are watery and loose as they come out. Most of the time she poops on dirt, gravel, or grass so it's hard to get a good look at one, but last night she pooped on the concrete walkway so I was able to inspect it and snap a picture. Not sure what to look for in case of worms, but I saw no movement. It has been warm/hot in our area over the last few weeks; between 80-100 degrees on any given day. Is this just a hot-weather-related-excess-water-intake poop? Or do you more experienced chicken keepers see something else? Thanks!

IMG_5334.JPG

You got it right, the poop is related to the weather right now. When chickens have really watery poop like that, it means they're drinking lots of water because of the heat. You can help her get cool by making sure she has a shady place to go. It might also be nice for her to have a little place to dunk her feet and bring her body temp down. Hope this helped!

That's what I thought, thank you.

Their run (that they are in for the majority of the day) is completely shaded by a huge sycamore, they have electrolytes in their waterers that are filled with cold water (and sometimes ice cubes depending on the predicted high), and on really hot days (like today, which is supposed to be 101), I put a tray of ice cubes and "popsicles" (muffin tin filled with fruit and veggie scraps, topped with water then frozen) in the run for them to drink, eat, and dunk whatever they desire in as it thaws. I also have a box fan attached to the end of the run that runs on a timer and circulates air through the length of the coop and run. I lost one of my girls to heat stroke last year when we had a record-setting heat wave of over two weeks over 100 degrees (and most days during that time were 110-115), so I am always looking for ways to keep my girls cool and comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom