Barred Rock / Dominiques Controversy (Rant)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by barred-rocks-rock, Nov 3, 2009.

1. barred-rocks-rock

barred-rocks-rock Can't stick with a Title

Jul 5, 2009
    I Am MAD! [​IMG]

I am sick of people who cant tell a dominiques from a barred rock. I have people tell me every day that they love my dominiques. Well guess what, i dont have them, i have barred rocks! Hence the name BARRED-ROCKS-ROCK. DUH! [​IMG]
    even at the fair, i had people come up to me and say, "when i was a boy/girl, we called those Dominiques. THEY . ARENT. DOMINIQUES. [​IMG] I had a woman see my birds, and say that " No, those are Dominiques" She also said her birds were dominiques. And just to tell you something, by coincidence, we got our birds at the same day, same time. same place, out of the SAME BOX that said BARRED ROCKS . Some people just cant accept something.

First of all, [​IMG]

Dominiques :

1. Have a ROSE comb.
    2.. Have DARK bars.
    3. Have a Cuckoo/Blurred appearance.
    4. ARENT BARRED ROCKS! [​IMG]

Barred Rocks: [​IMG]

1. Have YELLOW legs.
    2. Have SINGLE combs.
    3. Have LIGHT Bars.
    4. Have Distinguished Bars
    5. ARE NOT DOMINIQUES. [​IMG]

Sorry for the rant, [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] thanks for your time. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
  2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    I know how it feels! I have Easter Eggers, not Araucanas! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. barred-rocks-rock

Jul 5, 2009
    Quote:Amen

4. MaggieRae

MaggieRae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    North Texas
    Quote:Yeppers. I've never actually seen a dominique, but my neighbor is talking about getting some, so hopefully soon!!! [​IMG]

5. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    I should write a blog post about it sometime. Poor fools don't have a clue. [​IMG]

6. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    To some older people dominiques were the birds found on many farms. Since it is a barred bird, it is a dominique. My aunt called them dominekers. I remember as a child seeing the birds on her farm, close to 50 years ago. So do not be too hard on the old folks.

Tim

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  7. MaggieRae

MaggieRae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    North Texas
    Quote:I hate that hatcheries feel the need to mislead people on this issue. I have so many friends who call their chickens araucanas when they're really easter eggers. I usually don't have the heart to inform them when they're just so proud of their 'green egg layers'...

8. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    I've heard them called Dominickers at chicken auctions before and it just made my skin crawl.

9. cubalaya

cubalaya Overrun With Chickens

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    i hate it when people call my barred rocks, 'broad rocks' or 'dominekers' . i hate when people call my non standard ameraucanas, 'easter egg mutts'.

10. barred-rocks-rock

Jul 5, 2009
    Quote:Oh, i know, and i undertand that, i dont have anything against them, beleive me. I just needed to let some steam out. the old people ( person ) was just an example. dont get me wrong.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by