barred rock eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ninabl, Sep 5, 2011.

1. ninabl

ninabl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2010
    franklin ky
    do these eggs all look the right color to be barred rock eggs? i wish i had a stor bought white one to put next to them to show the color. some of the eggs just look to white to me. the chickens were supose to be hatched from mc murry hatchary. they were about 5 months old when i got them. just wondering if i had a br cross or somthing else in my flock. thanks

[​IMG]

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Nope, they don't look white. All shades of browns-your siggy line says you have 7 BR hens. Not all birds, even though they are the same breed, will lay the same shade of brown...none of mine do and they are not hatchery either...they look yummy too!

3. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    They look fine to me.

My BR's lay brown eggs, and sometimes I'll get one of those lighter "tan-ish" colored eggs.

[​IMG]

4. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    My 4 BRs lay like the lighter ones in your box. But the color will vary,mine go from lightishpinky white to light tan.

5. Tiss

Tiss Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Georgia
    I agree. They look like my BR eggs.

6. Alethea

Alethea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Yes, I am told barred rock eggs are pink to light brown. You've got a nice variety. I can't tell you this from experience. Our barred rocks are twenty weeks old, close to laying, but haven't laid. I leave the country in four days and am counting down. Bok.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You see this flat of eggs? Every one is a Barred Rock egg. The light ones all belonged to a friend's McMurray BR hens. The dark one in the middle belonged to my Lexie, a BR from Ideal. She laid a darker egg than any of my other BRs.

[​IMG]

This is also a BR egg from a daughter of one of the Ideal hens I had, so they do vary, but all are considered brown eggs:

[​IMG]

8. luvinmychickens

luvinmychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Ohio
    Quote:Yeppers! My GB/GSL lays dark brown speckled eggs all the time (shes about 5 months), and my other GSL lays a lighter shade and no speckles (shes the same age). They will most likely lay a different shade.. Thats how I know who laid what egg! [​IMG]

9. ninabl

ninabl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2010
    franklin ky
    thanks for all the reply and pics. i learned alot. thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by