1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Barred Rock Experts, Please help us!!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by rubysmom, May 30, 2008.

1. rubysmom

rubysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2008
    Oregon
    We were so sure this chick was a hen, but all of a sudden she is growing those curvy tail feathers? The sickle ones maybe. We have 4 other chicks, all different breeds and all girls we think, but the tail feathers dont curl around on any of the others?

She is 12 weeks old yesterday. Could she be a rooster? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. rubysmom

Mar 28, 2008
    Oregon
    Anyone have any ideas? Don't worry we can take it...

3. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Certainly not an expert, but she definitely looks like a little lady to me. [​IMG] Her color is nice and dark, her legs look nice and dark. Her comb isn't very big (appears to be a bit reddish, but just the pic, perhaps?). I am definitely saying girl.

4. rubysmom

Mar 28, 2008
    Oregon
    Thanks a bunch!
    Her legs are definitely dark and she is so mellow! The only sign is the feathers on the tail. She has always been sort of a slower grower than my other chicks, but the other 4 are big breeds. Her tail has always been small, but these 3 feathers just curl right down ? Can hens have that?

5. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    That is how the tail feathers on my little Barred Rock roo are, but that is the only way she seems similar to him. He is about 7 weeks and his comb is twice the size of hers. And RED. His feathering and legs are also much lighter. There are some serious Barred Rock experts on here who will hopefully see this, but I am still thinking she is a girl. [​IMG] I hope so.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I PMd you back, but its a definite pullet. She'll lose those longer tailfeathers, trust me. Then she'll look very girly.

7. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

I agree with all the others...with all the pics I've seen that is a pullet for sure! [​IMG] Is that what you wanted?

8. rubysmom

Mar 28, 2008
    Oregon
    Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!
    You have made one little girl and her crazy mama very happy [​IMG] of course out of our 5 chicks this has always been her favorite one. We can't keep any roos so we were going to have to move to a farm [​IMG]
    That is starting to sound better and better though. 5 chickens is really just NOT enough!

Thanks again you guys for all the help you have given us over the last 3 monthes, couldn't have done it without you!

Claudia and Olivia

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by