Barred Rock Feather Issue?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hnt15, Apr 24, 2019.

1. hnt15

hnt15 Chirping

Mar 10, 2017
    Hi Everyone,
    I have a barred rock roughly 4-5 weeks old unknown if Male or female yet . I just want to make sure that the look of its feathers is normal for its age and it is not something more serious. I know they get to that ugly stage but just want to make sure I dont need to be worried

Attached Files:

2. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

That's not a barred Rock... there is NO barring.

Looks like maybe just genetic slow feathering... I don't see redness or scabs indicating bugs or pecking from flock mates.

Ribh likes this.
  3. hnt15

hnt15 Chirping

Mar 10, 2017
    ok I got it from TSC and was told that's what it was....now I have to figure out what kind it is....lol. Also it does not look like there are any scabs or pecking from any mates.....thanks

4. chicksandchores

chicksandchores Chirping

Mar 17, 2019
    Middle Tennessee
    Could you post full body pics of him/her standing? The down kinda puts me in mind of a black Asian I just brooded out this spring. Was that one of the available breeds the day you got the chick?

5. hnt15

hnt15 Chirping

Mar 10, 2017
    ok so here is a couple full pics of chick....eating and playing fine

Attached Files:

6. chicksandchores

chicksandchores Chirping

Mar 17, 2019
    Middle Tennessee
    I believe he/she is in fact an Asian. Their down is much coarser than my other chicks’ down was, and she always put me a little bit in mind of a vulture while she was feathering out. That’s the same way mine looked, the Asian and some of the other chicks. I think that’s how most feathers look if you catch them right as they’re starting to come in. Your little one should be just fine

debid likes this.
  7. hnt15

hnt15 Chirping

Mar 10, 2017
    thanks....the down is course and does look like a vulture

chicksandchores likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: