Barred Rock--Female? UPDATED She just laid an egg!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Chickiebaby8, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Chickiebaby8

Chickiebaby8 Songster

Apr 19, 2010
    Kentucky
    [​IMG]
    The first photo is the most recent. The second photo, the close up, was taken 6 weeks ago.

[​IMG]

Thank you in advance for any help.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Definitely too dark to be a roo [​IMG]

3. Chickiebaby8

Chickiebaby8 Songster

Apr 19, 2010
    Kentucky
    Oh good. I wonder why she isn't laying? She is happy and eating. She does make a weird noise that I originally though was a cough but it has been 7 weeks and she was treated with antibiotics and seems fine. Very spunky, very vocal. Eats really well.

Maybe she isn't old enough?

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Do you know how old she is? Mine were at least 7 months old before they started laying. Now, since they free range daily, I'm not getting any eggs from them. I would love to know where they are hiding them!

5. MissD'uccle

MissD'uccle Cluck of My Life

Dec 16, 2009
    Elba Twp, MI
    Sometimes they just take a little longer to get going [​IMG] My barred rock hen actually raises her "hackle" feathers and will spar with my bantie rooster. It is quite comical to watch. She usually wins! [​IMG]

6. Chickiebaby8

Chickiebaby8 Songster

Apr 19, 2010
    Kentucky
    That is so cute! I have a very bossy Golden Comet who would probably take on any Roo around.

@Shelley I think she is 6 months old. I wanted to help a friend and start my flock with laying hens but I really wish I started from an egg sometimes so I would know how old they are. I do love them though and they are so happy. They have their own house and a large, fenced in area with grass to play in all day. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by