Barred rock female?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jmtcmkb, Oct 27, 2011.

1. jmtcmkb

jmtcmkb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Hi Trying to figure out how to upload images, wanted to simply add this image to a previous post but---------

was unable to figure out.

Is this little one a Barred rock female?

[​IMG][/img]

was sold from MPC as a dominique but she appears to have a single comb. Cucco is 4 weeks old. She has yellow legs with a black splash down the front. Yellow comb that looks like asingle comb.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yep, BR pullet.

3. jmtcmkb

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    thanks good to know she is a pullet, she is the sweetest little thing- comes and just sits on my hand when I come near the brooder......she's the only one out of my 5 who will come willingly and quietly to be outside the brooder with me.

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Yes indeed. Side by side, they're easier to tell the difference. The roos are generally much whiter and brighter.

[​IMG]

5. smarsh2

smarsh2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    I am sorry, but I must disagree. It is likely neither a barred rock or a female. It is most certainly not a female, no matter what its coloration is. That is way too much comb for a female chick. This likely means it is also not a barred rock because it is too dark for a roo. Probably mixed

Oh, and being really sweet is also a sign it is a rooster. the most friendly chicks usually are. Most female chicks are not as social with you.

6. jmtcmkb

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Quote:really [​IMG]...... so why all the tell tale sign of a female that I have read for Barred. Small white spot on head at day old, black splash on legs and dark color feathering?

7. MassivelyScrambled

MassivelyScrambled Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    Northern California
    still think it's a pullet...

8. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Quote:x2

9. Noobchick

Noobchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Creedmoor, NC
    Quote:I haven't found this to e the case in my experience so far-- my hens have been far more friendly than the roos. I guess everyone's experience is a little different.

10. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Quote:I haven't found this to e the case in my experience so far-- my hens have been far more friendly than the roos. I guess everyone's experience is a little different.

x3

My BR rooster is friendly, but my females are much MORE friendly. That is definitely a girl. You can tell a girl from a boy in colour. My BR male is lighter than the girl.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This is my girl - She's stretching [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by