Barred Rock gender and feather Q?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by whambam, Oct 28, 2013.

1. whambam

whambam Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2013
    Southwest
    Okay so I picked up 5 "pullets" about 4 weeks ago. 2 barred rock & three cuckoo Marans.

The Marans WERE younger and smaller, now they are bigger than the rocks. They were apparently 5&7 weeks when I got them, respectively. So my rocks are now 10/11 weeks but I get the impression that they are probably no older than 10weeks IMO.

So one of my BR is considerably smaller than the other...and noticeably lighter. With all them running around I didn't think much about comparing them, but I couldn't help but notice the size difference and the color. Now today "his" comb is looking much more red than all the others. The other BR is dark. "He" is lighter.

Then today picking "him" up I noticed patches of featherless areas on the chest and neck area. What's the deal with that?

Am I right in suspect said chicken is a cockerel? These are my first BR.

"Roo" in question on the right front, other BR pullet behind him on the left.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

His pullet sister... Same age
    [​IMG]

2. whambam

whambam Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2013
    Southwest
    Oh and here "he" is near one of the Marans. Are Marans normally much larger than rocks at this age? I always thought rocks were but maybe they just grow slower. [​IMG]

3. Chrysolinsbirds

Chrysolinsbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2013
    Merced county, CA
    Does look like a rooster, I don't know why he would have a bald spot on his chest tho, except maybe molting.

4. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Yes, that's a cockerel. I don't know why he's picking his breast feathers, either.

As far as the size difference, if they are hatchery BRs, that might be your answer. I think hatcheries have been crossing in some lighter breeds to the BR lately, to have them lay more eggs and be less dual-purpose. I was very disappointed at my last BR from Meyer hatchery. They are almost as light as my RSL! I've never had such small, light BR and I wanted them to breed for table birds. Guess that won't be happening. [​IMG]

My Marans, which are from a breeder, are much heavier bodied birds. My big Marans rooster must weigh 10 pounds! Marans are supposed to be heavy, dual purpose birds with good meat.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by