Barred Rock gender confusion

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Zukai09, Oct 3, 2015.

1. Zukai09

Zukai09 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2015
    So I went and got two chicks the other day from a local farm. And I'm like 95% sure it's a dude but I'm not an expert. I figured from the comb it's a male though... [​IMG]

One more picture!
    [​IMG]

I'm pretty sure the RIR is a female but I really hope I didn't pick two dudes!

2. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    I am almost positive the Plymouth is a dude, No idea on the RIR though~

3. Zukai09

Oct 3, 2015
    I figured as much! I hope the RIR is a lady so I don't have to worry about rehoming both of them! I have a feeling my neighbors won't be happy with crowing! xD

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
  4. CascadiaRiver

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    Yeah, maybe get a few more chicks next time to increase your odd! XD lol!

5. Zukai09

Oct 3, 2015
    I was actually afraid of getting too many! I've never had chickens before and had researched their care but I wanted just two so I could be sure that I wouldn't kill them! But now I know that I'm doing something right I have a few more on the way! :D

6. CascadiaRiver

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    Awesome! Chickens are seriously addicting, I'm only in my second year or so and we wanted around 5-8 and now have 20 and are planning more XD What chicks are you planning to get next?

7. FeatherMtnFarms

FeatherMtnFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2015
    The Barred rock's barred feathers look like they are coming in pretty white (lighter barring means cockerel) so I would have to say boy. I don't know RIR's that well though...

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    They're both too young to sex for sure. However, the light barring on the Barred Rock makes me think it is a cockerel.

9. Zukai09

Oct 3, 2015
    I enter to get a variety, I'd like lavender Orpington, golden comets, and there was a speckled one I really thought was cute (susex I think?) Also some Easter Eggers. Only I've read online there are a variety of "Easter egger" chickens and I'm like okay but which one is the one I want xD or all of them?! I have seen so many I like but for sure I'm going to make sure that the breeds I pick are fairly friendly just because I don't want to follow in Link's footsteps when it comes to chickens... I had a coworker say she had a really mean rooster that would go after her children and needless to say it didn't stay around long. I mostly want to avoid being terrorized by them xD I don't think most chickens are mean! I'd like to read more on them but I want a variety~
    I just bought my First house and it's kinda on a mountain but I have 5 acres I intend to find a use for!

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I agree barred rock = cockerel

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by